Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 05:15 AM

Default Re: This is why I\'m for the death penalty.

[ QUOTE ]
innocent people get killed by the death penality though, not just bad people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think I read somewhere that from the 1000 first people executed in the US after the death penalty was reinstated 0 was believed by any credible groups to have been innocent.

It definatly is important to give all people a fair trial, and even more so when so much is at stake, but as it is now people that are executed usually have 10 years or more and 5-10 appeals fro their first sentence to they end up being executed.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is why upstanding citizens should be armed. I find it ridiculous that so many people are forced by law to place themselves at the mercy of these gangsta pieces of [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is why upstanding citizens should be armed. I find it ridiculous that so many people are forced by law to place themselves at the mercy of these gangsta pieces of [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, let's go back there. The world would be a better place if everyone carried guns.

I'm against the death penalty for three reasons.

1) He could be innocent. The chance of him being innocent is always present.

2) It could be considered an "easy" way out, for him. I think a lot of people would pick death over being gangbanged for life in a prison.

3) The moral questions: Who are we to take a life? Is it right to kill someone just because they're bad? Etc.

The only argument I can see for the death penalty is the money we potentially save on not holding him alive. However, as someone already stated, finally killing him - through the legal process - costs a lot of money too.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:28 AM

I thought this was funny. A few facts about death sentences from amnesty.com.

- In 2006, 91 per cent of all known executions took place in China, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan and the USA.

- Ten countries since 1990 are known to have executed 58 prisoners who were under 18 years old at the time of the crime – Afghanistan, China, Congo, Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, USA and Yemen.

Oh, and about innocence and death sentences in USA:

- Since 1973, 124 prisoners have been released in the USA after evidence emerged of their innocence of the crimes for which they were sentenced to death.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm against the death penalty for three reasons.

1) He could be innocent. The chance of him being innocent is always present.

2) It could be considered an "easy" way out, for him. I think a lot of people would pick death over being gangbanged for life in a prison.

3) The moral questions: Who are we to take a life? Is it right to kill someone just because they're bad? Etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Often I think its pretty obvious that the person is not innocent and cannot be innocent. There are clearly cases where the chances of the convicted being innocent is so slim it is not worth noting. When you have a dozen of eye witnesses, DNA, confession, motives, videotape and so on there is very litle reason for talking about "chance of being innocent".

2. Are we supposed to give the worst criminals the sentence that we believe will be worst for each and every one of them? In our society death clearly stands out as the ultimate punishment, and I dont think you can change that just because some convicted murderers might feel that life in prison is even worse.

3. Who are we to take freedom away from others? Is it right to tell people that "you have to spend the rest of your life inside this tiny cell" just because they have beeen bad? Who are we to judge anyways? And who are we to decide whats appropiate punishment and not? Someone who has taken the life of an innocent person might deserve to have his life taken too, imo. If he felt he was justified in his actions then clearly "we" are justified too.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic is weak. DUCY?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:39 AM

FWIW, i'm suprised so many people here think it is good for the state to murder people.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and about innocence and death sentences in USA:

- Since 1973, 124 prisoners have been released in the USA after evidence emerged of their innocence of the crimes for which they were sentenced to death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats also a concern whenever people are being given time in prison. Ive heard than 0 of those that have been executed (in the US after the reintroduction of death penalty) are believed by any credible organizations to have been innocent. People sentenced to death are given several oppertunities to appeal, and the time from the first conviction to the actual death penalty taking place is like 10 years or more.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So they weren't actually "wrongfully executed" were they?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, i'm suprised so many people here think it is good for the state to murder people.

[/ QUOTE ]

As murder is the unlawful killing of a human being I dont think there are anyone here that think that is good.