Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Using God as Insurance

In preface I've never gotten past the first few paragraphs in Genesis or attended a church service for anythig other than a few weddings and one time to bang a hot chick : As I get older I am wondering if accepting Jesus Christ as my Savior and asking that all my sins be forgiven is all it takes to get some good box seats in heaven.

If so as long as I don't die instantly even though I don't believe in any sort of God I see no downside in changing my mind at the last few moments prior to death if this works.

So will this work? I really would like any opinions on my plan and particularly on it's likelihood of success. Anyone who suggest I read the Bible myself and draw my own conclusions it just seems like a waste of time with all the Christians around here. After all I don't plan on making any lifestyle changes, just looking for some free insurance.

TIA,

Jimbo
Old 10-06-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Using God as Insurance

I'm pretty sure an all knowing God that is willing to send you to hell for not believing in him would be even more pissed off knowing that you changed your mind at the last second for "insurance". And Obv he would know exactly why you changed your mind.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:17 AM

Are you funny in other forums?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:20 AM

insurance is prohibited in the bible. lol.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:17 AM

Pretend you believe. You will find truth in that action.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:34 AM

I would not insure with an insurer that manifestly defaults in his design!
Old 10-06-2007, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would not insure with an insurer that manifestly defaults in his design!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not, it's free.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After all I don't plan on making any lifestyle changes, just looking for some free insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you would be wasting your time. It sounds like you want to commit something catholics call a "sin of presumption". That doctrine essentially closes the loophole that you were looking to take advantage.

Stu
Old 10-06-2007, 11:34 AM

I'm surprised at the negativity. Surely anyone who finds Pascal's wager remotely enticing is fully behind this plan.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After all I don't plan on making any lifestyle changes, just looking for some free insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you would be wasting your time. It sounds like you want to commit something catholics call a "sin of presumption". That doctrine essentially closes the loophole that you were looking to take advantage.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to everyone for your responses and civility. Stu I think yours best answers my question but then again it opens up another, please forgive my ignorance in religion as the answer to this question may be clear to those well versed in theology.

If what you say is true about catholicism closing my desired loophole then how can anyone ever expect to go to heavan? I mean hasn't every sinner planned on doing what they were doing till they changed their minds and asked for salvation? Remember in my OP I was about to die momentarily and would not be able to continue to pursue my past life activities. At the moment in time I ask to be saved I'm pretty darn sure I'll mean it, particularly if the only alternatives are either nothingness or Hell. Or does just the fact that I am contemplating this in advance void my future warranty? If that is it I can see the problem with my plan.

Jimbo