Default Re: Satellite vs. Cable TV

[ QUOTE ]
Football package.

/story for me

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-05-2007, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Heavy Rain + Dish = Frustration

[ QUOTE ]
Every heavy rain storm my satellite gets knocked out during the heavy raining for about 30 minutes untill the storm lets up. Something to consider.

If this occurs during tomorrow's season finale of "The Sheild", I will destroy my dish.
http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/orig...ield/main.html

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is happening to you your dish probably is not properly installed. I had this problem for a few months. A wind storm had knocked my dish slightly out of alighnment. I adjusted it and with the exception of two heavy electrical storms (where it went out for 3 and 7 minutes) I have not had one outage in the last two years, heavy snowstorms, rainstorms and all.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fall 2007 DirectTV will roll out their new HD lineup. It will be over 100 channels. It will be the most HD content out there. Besides, I hate cable companies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know for sure, but I imagine Comcast (and cable companies in general) will at least attempt to stay competitive re: # of available HD channels.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fall 2007 DirectTV will roll out their new HD lineup. It will be over 100 channels. It will be the most HD content out there. Besides, I hate cable companies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know for sure, but I imagine Comcast (and cable companies in general) will at least attempt to stay competitive re: # of available HD channels.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's more complicated than that.

1) DirecTV will have the capability to carry over 100 HD channels. How many will actually be available is not yet certain, I don't believe.

2) That capability hinges on the fact that Directv switched over to H.264 encoding, which frees up a lot of bandwith. You will have to have a capable receiver. I don't think cable companies, with existing equipment, have the bandwith to offer anything similar. I have no idea what steps, if any, they are taking to convert.

Unsubstantiated personal fear: As always, providers take a "quantity over quality" approach to channel lineups. Easier for them to market. I am worried that, despite the h.264 improvement, they will still have to compress the hell out of the signal to fit that many HD channels. I hope quality does not suffer.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Every heavy rain storm my satellite gets knocked out during the heavy raining for about 30 minutes untill the storm lets up. Something to consider.

If this occurs during tomorrow's season finale of "The Sheild", I will destroy my dish.
http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/orig...ield/main.html

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is happening to you your dish probably is not properly installed. I had this problem for a few months. A wind storm had knocked my dish slightly out of alighnment. I adjusted it and with the exception of two heavy electrical storms (where it went out for 3 and 7 minutes) I have not had one outage in the last two years, heavy snowstorms, rainstorms and all.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Get a guy out to repoint your dish. Assuming you are in Texas, you should be able to get a great signal from the satellites (the main one is over the equator, in line with Texas). If you were in Seattle, I could see how you could have longer outages (further north and west, thus longer look angles = weaker signal).

One way to tell is to do a signal check. go to the setup menus and check the satellite signal. If you don't get 90+ on the meter, you need your dish repointed.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:18 PM

DirecTV's new satellite is scheduled to launch on July 7.

As for my experience with DirecTV, I switched to them in August of last year (just in time for football and soccer season). I had a buggy DVR from them. Two of them actually. But it looks like their latest firmware revision fixed those problems because I've had no problems since the beginning of the year.

My HD DVR refused to record a show when I first installed it in January. No problems since then.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:34 PM

What exactly are the new HD channels? Are they going to be HD Movie channels which are run by Direct TV? I know the list of current HD channels that Comcast distributes. I'm guessing this will help with their football game package.

I guess I'm an HD whore but if the HD programming DirectTV is adding isn't that great I can't see switching between Comcast since I already get it. Additionally, I don't have a land line and I don't intend to buy one just to get DirectTV.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What exactly are the new HD channels? Are they going to be HD Movie channels which are run by Direct TV? I know the list of current HD channels that Comcast distributes. I'm guessing this will help with their football game package.

I guess I'm an HD whore but if the HD programming DirectTV is adding isn't that great I can't see switching between Comcast since I already get it. Additionally, I don't have a land line and I don't intend to buy one just to get DirectTV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had DTV for four years and have never plugged in the phone line. However, I think you have to if you want to order pay-per-view over the phone. I have ordered on-line and had no problem.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a DirecTV press release:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtm...&highlight=

[ QUOTE ]
With agreements in place to launch four Discovery HD channels, five HD channels from Starz, CNBC and Chiller in HD, along with recently completed deals with The History Channel and A&E, DIRECTV is on schedule to roll out up to 100 national HD channels by year-end to satisfy the appetite of its HD customers, who have doubled over the last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
To date, DIRECTV has signed agreements or agreements in principle, to launch the following networks.

-- A&E -- National Geographic
-- Bravo -- NFL Network
-- Cartoon Network -- SciFi Channel
-- CNN -- Speed
-- Food Network -- TBS
-- Big Ten Network -- The History Channel
-- HGTV -- The Weather Channel
-- MTV -- USA Network
-- Disney Channel -- Versus HD
-- Toon Disney -- TLC
-- ABC Family -- Animal Planet
-- ESPNNEWS HD -- The Science Channel
-- Starz E/W feeds -- Discovery Channel
-- Starz Edge -- The Tennis Channel
-- Starz Comedy -- Showtime West
-- Starz Kids & Family -- The Movie Channel
-- CNBC -- Chiller

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-05-2007, 03:15 PM

I live in florida and DirecTV went out during any bad rainstorm. Maybe as much as 10 times a year, sometimes for ~30 min. You want to be inside watching tv when its raining so this definatly sucks. I'd still take DirecTV over cable though.

Picture quality on standard channels is not even close with cable.

EDIT: My dish was setup correctly. The signal was in high 90's on most transponders, so it wasnt a dish problem.