kyle cease:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq_wz8xVku4

louis ck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv8d_ry-u-Q
Old 05-03-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: a bbv4l thread on standup comedy

[ QUOTE ]
David Cross and Zach Galifianakis

Zach G. joke -- "Yeah, I like to wear Axe Body Spray, or as they call it in my black neighborhood, 'Ask Body Spray.'"

Also, F Dane Cook.

[/ QUOTE ]
Zach came to my school about a month ago. Friggin killed. I saw his stand up routine on Comedy central but this was awesome. The place ended up standing room only. The reaction to that joke was great; a nice long pause before it clicked and everyone just died. After seeing him live he is definitely underrated.

Also [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, Dave Chappelle, and Mitch Hedberg. I really have to listen to Bill Hicks. I've heard so much about him, but never watched his standup. Any recommendations?

Anybody heard of "Flight of the Conchords"? It's two New Zealand guys that play guitar and do standup. Nothing truly great like these other guys, but definitely funny. Here's a clip.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:59 PM

Eddie Izzard
Lenny Bruce (the "I just got arrested for saying...I can't say it" scene in "Lenny" with Dustin Hoffman might be the funniest thing I've ever seen in a movie)
Sam Kinnison
Robin Williams when he's "on" (definitely high variance)
Richard Pryor
Old 05-03-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mitch Hedberg

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, hands down. Here are some quotes to prove it.

I met the girl who works at the Doubletree front desk; she gave me her phone number. It's zero. I tried to call her from here, some other woman answered. I said, "You sound older!"

They say the recipe for Sprite is lemon and lime. But I tried to make it at home; there's more to it than that. "Want some more homemade Sprite?" "Not 'til you figure out what the [censored] else is in it!"

I order the club sandwich all the time, but I'm not even a member, man. I don't know how I get away with it.

I went to a pizzeria, I ordered a slice of pizza, the [censored] gave me the smallest slice possible. If the pizza was a pie chart for what people would do if they found a million dollars, the [censored] gave me the "donate it to charity" slice. I would like to exchange this for the "keep it"

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait."

Fish are always eating other fish. If fish could scream, the ocean would be loud as [censored]. All you would hear is "Awww [censored]! I thought i looked like that rock!"

I bought a house, it's a two-bedroom house. But I think it's up to me how many bedrooms there are, don't you? [censored] you, real estate lady, this bedroom has an oven in it. This bedroom has a lot of people sitting around watching TV. This bedroom is over in that guy's house. "Sir, you've got one of my bedrooms, are you aware? Don't decorate it!"

Mr. Pip is a replica of Dr Pepper, but it's a [censored] replica, 'cause the dude didn't even get his degree. Why'd you have to drop out and start makin' pop so soon?

I like the FedEx driver, because he's a drug dealer and he don't even know it. And he's always on time!

I sit at my hotel at night, I think of something that's funny, then I go get a pen and I write it down. Or if the pen's too far away, I have to convince myself that what I thought of ain't funny

I bought myself a parrot; the parrot talked, but it did not say "I'm hungry," so it died.

I need to go to the Apartment Depot. Which is just a big warehouse with people standing around saying "Hey, we ain't gotta fix [censored]!"

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Xylophone is spelled with an X. It should be a Z. Xylophone ZZZ X, I don't [censored] see it. Next time you spell Xylophone, spell it with a Z. If someone tells you you're wrong, say "No, I aint." If you think that that's wrong then you need to get your head Z-Rayed. It's like X didn't have enough to do so they had to promise it more. "Okay, you won't start a lot of words, but you will have a co-starring role in Tic-Tac-Toe. And you will be equated with hugs and kisses. And you will mark the spot. And you will make writing 'Christmas' easier. And you will accidentally start 'xylophone.' Are you happy now, you [censored] X?"

I don't have a girlfriend. I just know a girl who would get really mad if she heard me say that.

I bought a doughnut, and they gave me a receipt. There is no need for that, man. I'll just give you the money, you give me the doughnut. End of transaction. We do not need to bring ink and paper into this. I cannot imagine a situation in which I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. Some skeptical friend: "Hey man! Don't even act like I didn't buy that doughnut! I got the documentation right here...damn...I forgot it at home... it's in the filing cabinet...under D...for doughnut."
Old 05-03-2007, 02:30 PM

1. 1980's Andrew Dice Clay (not his current crap)
2. 1980's Eddie Murphy (not his current crap)
3. Artie Lange
Old 05-03-2007, 02:53 PM

Wow! Hicks was a [censored] genious. That's straight out of my mind. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:59 PM

Carlin is the best there ever was.

Chris Rock is the best right now. Dave Chappelle is good too, although not sure if he counts as a "current" comedian.

Mitch Hedberg was fantastic, RIP. Demetri Martin is a decent substitute now.

Bill Hicks was great, I didn't like him quite as much when he was called Dennis Leary. Pryor and Kinison are legends too.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:19 PM

1. mitch hedburg
2.John Heffron
a lot of other good ones have come from the last comic standing including Josh Blue . Brian Regan and delamitri martin are pretty solid too.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:25 PM

yeah i forgot to mention carlin in my op but dammit show some respect for rodney people!