Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 11-15-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Players in Your Game Getting Angry...

So he flops a straight, checks the flop, checks the turn, and then gets pissed off at you when you river a flush?

Did he just expect you to open fold to his un-bet monster?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:42 PM

There is a host of a weekly game that behaves like the OPs boss. To me it is just a sign of immaturity. What cracks me up is how we, yeah me too, continue to attend his games. The game is not good, but it is the only regular weekly game. I've been meaning to hijack it with a cash game on another night, but my crew is afraid to try a cash game. They only know tournaments from TV, so that is what they want to play.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have never understood getting angry at donkish players. They are your best source of income, granted they may suck out every now and then but if you are playing correctly their mistakes will pay you off more often than not.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know, and I shouldn't let it get my goat. I know a fellow, a good player, who can brush off OOP donkish play, and most times I can, too, but this particular time against this particular player was just the final straw of too many times.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:07 PM

Psychologically speaking, this kind of behavior is a recognition by the offending player that he played like an idiot. He's projecting.

A recent hand that pissed me off: turn card gives me two pair on a three-to-a-flush board. Other players clearly have one of the suit. I min bet trying to build the pot. The river makes their flushes and I have to fold. I'm pissed when they both turn over garbage, but who am I really mad at? I'm mad at myself for not forcing them to make a hard decision instead of giving them the odds to call and chase the flush.

Frequently, stupidity reveals itself as anger.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Frequently, stupidity reveals itself as anger.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yours is a good example but I suspect in the minority, by far. The more common situation is contempt disguised as anger at people who do stupid things that end up hurting us as a consequence. For example, a lot of the people in my home game love weak aces and suited cards of any denomination. Not everyone by any means but a lot of them. Love love. I of course punish their draws by making huge overbets, partially because I know I'm not gonna be able to extract more later when it misses, but partially because they'll usually call. When they do and it hits at least I know I did what I could to get them off the hand, and if it misses I made a lot more.

It's just like in blackjack: it's an oft-repeated mantra that a bad player at 3rd base will help you as often as he hurts you. Sure, true. But it's still harder to stomach his stupidity when he stands on 13 and the dealer's seven beats your hand than it is to celebrate the win when he leaves the bust card in the deck.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:04 PM

Ultimately, hosting a game is a commitment to spend some serious time with whomever are playing. If you don't like them, don't let them play. It is not worth playing with people that make you angry.