Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 03:34 AM

Default live 1/2, AQ preflop vs. a maniac

finally got the chance to play live (non-homegame), so i figured i'd post this hand. i bought in for $80 and folded around down to about $70. About 5 hands before this one, this maniac buys in for the max directly to my right and proceeds to raise every pot to around $12-$15 (which was the standard raise for this game).

So i get AQoff UTG+1, mr. maniac limps in (first time he hasn't raised), i make it $12 of my $70, folds over to the button who calls (he's seen a lot of flops but hasnt gone to showdown yet so i'm not quite sure of his range here.. up to this point i hadn't played a pot... folds over to the maniac who instantly shoves all in for 250 or so.

i thought for a bit and mucked it partly because i didn't know what to make of the limp raise and partly because of the player behind me. was this too weak tight?
Old 03-01-2006, 03:52 AM

Default Re: live 1/2, AQ preflop vs. a maniac

Your biggest mistake was buying into a 1/2 NL game for $80. I'd buy in for one hundred times the BB no matter what limit I was playing. Say Mr. Maniac limps in with something like 88 up front and you raise with $200 sitting behind you. He'll be alot less willing to shove all of his money in with a middle pair knowing he's committing 80% of his stack in the process.

On the hand analysis, I say you were right for folding there with AQ since the player behind you has at least a pair or AK. The only hands you hope to dominate here are AJ-Aweak and it's highly unlikely that those people are still in the pot anyway.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:56 AM

Default Re: live 1/2, AQ preflop vs. a maniac

The fold is good.
You should buy in for the full amount as well, though.
Don't you want to take this maniacs stack?