Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Luxor 1/2 $50 buy in?

I have heard about this game from some people on here and it sounds...just weird. Anyway, Myself and two other friends will be staying at the Luxor in a couple of weekends for the poker rate.

Now, before all of the "room is terrible" talk, keep in mind between three of us we only have to play 1.5 hours there a day.

Has anybody played in this game? What is it like? I assume the play is terrible, but what kind of strategy did you use to accumulate chips...besides pushing on first hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Luxor 1/2 $50 buy in?

It's 1/1/2 blinds. Play is terrible, and the buy in is effectively a $99 because once you go below 50, you can buy another 50. Its the lowest NL game in the city, easy pickings but the 3 blinds and structure of 25bb's sucks, IMO.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:14 PM

Played in it late one night. INSANELY loose since half the table was DRUNK. Easy pickings if you can loosen up your game and play along these fools.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:56 PM

I've never actually played there but my friend played at the Luxor last summer. He said it's just rediculousy stupid play at that at certain points it would just be stupid to by into the game if certain stacks were as high as they were the day he played there.

He said he and one other guy respectivly worked their stacks up into the $400-500 range. Anytime one of the fresh $50 buy in's sat down and raised it to $10, if either of them had any kind of modest to good hand they would raise them all in for their last $40. Most of the time they won too because they could afford to push around a $50 stack.

I would just say if 1 or 2 guys has a decent stack size don't sit down in the game, your $50 will not threaten them at all, and they will try to bust you and may get lucky or they may not, but either way do you want coin flips going the whole time your there?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:09 PM

This is the perfect game for someone who has no post-flop skills at all. Like the previous poster said, it's a push fest for $50. If you have post-flop skills and enough for a buyin of 100-200 you're better off playing at a normal 12NL table elsewhere.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
orked their stacks up into the $400-500 range. Anytime one of the fresh $50 buy in's sat down and raised it to $10, if either of them had any kind of modest to good hand they would raise them all in for their last $40. Most of the time they won too because they could afford to push around a $50 stack.

I would just say if 1 or 2 guys has a decent stack size don't sit down in the game, your $50 will not threaten them at all, and they will try to bust you and may get lucky or they may not, but either way do you want coin flips going the whole time your there?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong on so many levels. This is not a tournament. You are sitting with $50 in hopes of at least doubling up. What part of doubling up against someone who doesn't care about $50 of their stack bothers you? Again, it's not a tournament. I'm not going to go deep into this logic since a search will come up with tons of information contradicting what you have posted and lots of it is good information to read. But if you are afraid of bigger stacks, then I want you in my game every chance I get, same goes for other people that are scared of "stack size" in a NL cash game.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
orked their stacks up into the $400-500 range. Anytime one of the fresh $50 buy in's sat down and raised it to $10, if either of them had any kind of modest to good hand they would raise them all in for their last $40. Most of the time they won too because they could afford to push around a $50 stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong on so many levels. This is not a tournament. You are sitting with $50 in hopes of at least doubling up. What part of doubling up against someone who doesn't care about $50 of their stack bothers you? Again, it's not a tournament. I'm not going to go deep into this logic since a search will come up with tons of information contradicting what you have posted and lots of it is good information to read. But if you are afraid of bigger stacks, then I want you in my game every chance I get, same goes for other people that are scared of "stack size" in a NL cash game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get your point of view in general. But if you can only buy in for $50, it's an average of $10 to see a flop, and you'll get called by at least one player on a push, what's the recommended strategy?

Wait for a premium hand and push? By then your stack is down to say, $40 from the blinds you've paid. If you're pulling out more cash every time the blinds come around or you see a flop, what's the fun?

There's just no way to have much post-flop play in this structure.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:37 PM

It's a 2 round betting game with such a short stack. Just keep pounding it in there till you tripple up or whatnot and then you can actually play poker. It's basically SNG style strategy till you get some chips. Be prepared to rebuy 6-10 times in a game like this till you have some chips to play with.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:40 PM

I stayed at the Luxor and played this quite a few hours a day for the weekend about two months ago. It's very soft, the structure is a bit silly but just bring enough to rebuy a few times. People were raising like $15-20 without much resembling a reasonable hand. Throw in a blind so you can get stack up to $99 right away. Then you should have enough to wait on a decent hand and start stacking them off. It's extremely loose. Didn't take but 30 hands or so to get up to $250+. At least half the table doesn't understand the basic rules and the rest are clueless as to how the structure should dictate plays. So, it's cheap fun.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a 2 round betting game with such a short stack. Just keep pounding it in there till you tripple up or whatnot and then you can actually play poker. It's basically SNG style strategy till you get some chips. Be prepared to rebuy 6-10 times in a game like this till you have some chips to play with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I see it as more fun (less variance) when I can buy directly into a $200 buyin 12NL game. This game would have to be massively profitable once you build a stack in order to justify losing 6-10 buyins first. I'm sure it's not that good for my style play, but I'm sure some people love it.