Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 05:17 AM

Default Re: A specific biblical contradiction

[ QUOTE ]

The Genesis 1 account is laughable. From SAB:

"The Genesis 1 creation account conflicts with the order of events that are known to science. In Genesis, the earth is created before light and stars, birds and whales before reptiles and insects, and flowering plants before any animals. The true order of events was just the opposite."

[/ QUOTE ]

I've decided to make this my last post on SMP. I've stated about all anyone cares to hear, though only a small fraction of what we could have discussed. I find there is no openness to the Gospel here and I may well be doing more harm than good. I wish you all the best and assure you that if anyone seeks God with a genuine desire he will find Him. Best of luck to you. This is a fairly lengthy article countering the above quote.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
assure you that if anyone seeks God with a genuine desire he will find Him.

[/ QUOTE ]

that may be the closest thing to an agreement with an NR claim that I've achieved. It will usually happen.
Compared to seeking with a scientific approach, where the answers will often go opposite to what you expected and your desire won't change that.

luckyme
Old 10-03-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've decided to make this my last post on SMP. I've stated about all anyone cares to hear, though only a small fraction of what we could have discussed. I find there is no openness to the Gospel here and I may well be doing more harm than good. I wish you all the best and assure you that if anyone seeks God with a genuine desire he will find Him.

[/ QUOTE ]
good luck. There was a time when I thought we could make more progress but sadly it was not to be.

Conviction that something is true doesn't make it true, and I hope one day you will understand that assuming something is true and fitting everything else to fit that truth cannot lead anywhere productive. It is not a truth-seeking methodology and inevitably the 'fitting everything to fit the assumed truth' is a path to intellectual dishonesty - even if unintentionally.

I apologise for letting my frustration with you overspill, good luck and in the fine words of Dave Allen - 'May Your God Go With You'

chez
Old 10-03-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"The Genesis 1 creation account conflicts with the order of events that are known to science. In Genesis, the earth is created before light and stars, birds and whales before reptiles and insects, and flowering plants before any animals. The true order of events was just the opposite."

[/ QUOTE ]

I've decided to make this my last post on SMP. I've stated about all anyone cares to hear, though only a small fraction of what we could have discussed. I find there is no openness to the Gospel here and I may well be doing more harm than good. I wish you all the best and assure you that if anyone seeks God with a genuine desire he will find Him. Best of luck to you. This is a fairly lengthy article countering the above quote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever. We've heard this all before.

See you in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A few thoughts....
(1) People aren't here to be preached the Gospel. In that sense you are correct.
(2) I don't imagine you are doing harm.
(3) "I wish you all the best and assure you that if anyone seeks God with a genuine desire he will find Him." I think many people have discussed that they have sought God with a genuine desire and found that there was nothing. Simply desiring something to be true only makes it so for some people.
(4) Best of luck to you.

Is Splendour the only apologist left? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(2) I don't imagine you are doing harm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I can almost guarantee that he is. I was a "weak" atheist (for lack of a better term) when I first started visiting this board. However, NR (and his brethren) helped push me away once and for all. I can only imagine that there are other lurkers and posters on this board who have had the same experience.

The constant and completely baseless attacks on science (especially evolution) made me realize that I really share nothing in common with someone like NR. I'm not able to turn off my brain to believe what he does. People like NR are holding back mankind's progress, and I don't want any part of what they're selling.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:55 AM

I suppose we would have to define "harm."

Its not like you were likely to become a believer until he turned you off? And I doubt he turned away anyone who already believed.

If you compare his posts (no matter how infuriating and obstinate at times), he was much more articulate and readable then the likes of Splendour.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose we would have to define "harm."

[/ QUOTE ]

True, I personally don't consider what he did to be "harm". I think the "harm" NR is referring to is to his cause -- which is to bring people into his religion. He must have finally realized that he was actually succeeding in pushing people away, rather than bringing them in. That's definitely the case with me.

[ QUOTE ]

Its not like you were likely to become a believer until he turned you off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not. However, he definitely has helped make it much *less* likely that I'd become a believer. Actually, "become" is the wrong word -- I grew up Roman Catholic, so it would be more a case of me "returning" to my religious roots. Instead, NR helped make me realize that I was right in turning my back on christianity.

If anything, I owe him my thanks.

[ QUOTE ]

And I doubt he turned away anyone who already believed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the hard-core believers. However, I'm sure he turned off some "weak" theists. Quite frankly, I'd find it embarassing to be associated with the theists who frequent this board.

[ QUOTE ]

If you compare his posts (no matter how infuriating and obstinate at times), he was much more articulate and readable then the likes of Splendour.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that he's articulate and readable is part of what makes him so infuriating. NR is obviously an intelligent person -- unlike most of the other theists on this board. The fact that -- despite his intelligence -- he continues to make the logically falacious arguments that he does makes him look like a troll, or at best intellectually dishonest.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:07 PM

"if anyone seeks God with a genuine desire he will find Him.'

I agree 100%. In other words, man created God in his own image, not vice versa. That's why gods the world over reflect the circumstances of the people that created them. That's why, for example, the Bible is filled with horror at nature and the wilderness: it was the harshness of the environment wherein lived the people of the Book that caused this atttitude. That's why Yahweh is such a jerk in the OT.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that -- despite his intelligence -- he continues to make the logically falacious arguments that he does makes him look like a troll, or at best intellectually dishonest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd reverse the ranking of the two choices, trolling can be looked at as an obnoxious, low-life 'sport' rather like dog-fights might, it doesn't totally define a person. ID ( intellectual dishonesty) is much more damaging/damaged and pervades ones entire life.

For his own sake, I hope he was a troll.

luckyme