Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 11:46 AM

Default UMass students?

This is my first semester as an enrolled student at U-Mass, and I missed the normal orientations, so I am doing the makeup orientation at the end of August.

I'm looking at the class registration online, and many of the giant lecture classes that I need to take are full, because every other student in the University has already registered pretty much.

Do any of you UMass guys know how easy these are to get into despite being full, or am I just screwed?

Also...any interest in homegames 50-200 buy in? I'll be living with two other poker players in a decent sized apartment in Amherst, and we could possibly host.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Re: UMass students?

try emailing the professor, your advisor, or going to the department office.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:39 PM

If you want to get permission to enter a closed class, this is what you do. Show up to the class with the book on the first day. Sit in the front row. After the first class, go to the TA or the professor. Tell them that you want to take their course but the course is full. *Don't ask for permission to be added*!!!!

Tell them that you want to attend lecture and do the work, and hope that someone drops out during the add/drop period. Attend all lectures and do all the work. There is a 99% chance a seat will open up and you will be able to slide into it. If not, and the professor knows that you have been to every class and have done all the work, the professor will likely give you special permission to enter the class. If not, he/she should receive the donkey of the year award. Repeat for all classes you need to take but are full. Professors WANT students who come to every lecture and look like they are listening. (You don't have to go to every one once you are in the class)

But, in the meantime, you also need to find some courses that are open so you can register for something. Discuss with an academic advisor. Remember, if you show interest, courses are never closed, just a bit more difficult to get into.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:23 PM

If your talkin about the Psych 100, Econ 101, blah blah lectures then all you hafta do is showup to class on the first day and the prof will announce at the end for the students who are on the waitlist to come up so he can add you to the course on SPIRE. Its mad easy and you'll have no problem getting into any big lecture. (not to mention tons of kids add/drop the big lectures in the first 2 weeks) I dont do my real scheduling till the beginning of each semester because I add/drop so much according to the syllabus and profs. As for the smaller classes those are much harder to get into if ur late at picking classes.

I'd be down for some homegames, where are you living Green?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:59 AM

TY for responses.

Two of my necessary classes were full, but I talked to the profs and should be okay to get into them with those sheets you fill out the first day of class.

In terms of home game, I'm living in Rolling Green (a little beyond Amherst College, but on the free bus route). My roommate is also a poker player, and we could probably be able to host games. PM me and we can talk.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:07 PM

any 2+2'ers living in northeast?