Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 08:32 PM

Default 100NL: River check?

6-max 100NL

Hero ($191.25) is UTG+1 with Ad-8d
UTG+2 ($45) posts $1

UTG folds, Hero limps, UTG+2 checks, button ($51.90) calls, SB ($97.25) completes, BB ($50) checks

Flop 7c-4h-8c (Pot: $5)
Checked to Hero, Hero bets $4, folded around to button, button calls, folded around

Turn 7c-4h-8c-8h (Pot: $13)
Hero bets $10, button calls

River 7c-4h-8c-8h-6s (Pot: $33)
Hero checks, button shoves for $36.90, Hero calls

So my rationale on the river is this: If he has the straight and I make any kind of bet here I'm basically betting his stack because it's going in and I can't fold to a shove if I make any kind of reasonable bet here. If I check, he shoves his straight anyways, but I also give him an opportunity to bluff at it thinking I'm scared of the four straight on the board. If I bet at it, he's probably folding hands like 7-6 that he may shove if I check it to him. He can also shove missed flush draws as well. I also honestly felt like I was good here: I feel like if he has 6-5 he'd probably raise the turn though it's a possibility even though it's somewhat unlikely. The only hand I was really afraid of here was 7-5. I didn't really see too many hands I set him in with that he calls with that I have beat besides a random K8 that he might still fold if I bet.

Anyways, thoughts on the river here/hand in general?
Old 11-13-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Re: 100NL: River check?

I don't like the limp with a dead blind there (I don't like the limp without it, for that matter).

You'll see T9 here quite a bit, but you'll also see busted flush draws as well. I play it pretty much the same way.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:43 PM

Hate the limp, raise that up pre. River is really opponent dependent but readless I would bet/call.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG folds, Hero limps,

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading after this.......
Old 11-14-2007, 02:29 AM

PF: Please raise. You're shorthand with a dead blind, and you don't figure to know where you stand against many players on the flop and beyond (it's harder to judge your standing against more opponents,after all).

Flop and turn seem just fine.

River: His hand sure smells like 10-9 here. What else would he play like this, other than a medium pair, and they all hit the board (66 and 55 possible, to be sure, and they now beat you here). However, as was stated, you need to use a read on your opponent if you have one to accurately assess the river.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:28 AM

I'm intrigued that everyone thinks this is an autoraising hand PF. What aces do you raise UTG/UTG+1 in a 6max game? Any ace?

And on the actual hand the villain flipped over A7o and I took it down.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:38 AM

I think that the reason that everyone says to raise pf is so that you can play with more certainty postflop. If you get action and flop an ace, for instance, hopefully you can assess it correctly on the flop, but if you flop one against the entire field, you have less idea where you stand and it will likely be more difficult to figure it out. If not, you are really playing for flush value (well, trip eights are pretty good too), so why not take charge of the hand right before the flop?
Congrats on the win, by the way...