Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 04:18 PM

Default $4/180: A9s vs. Lag

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t43133)
Hero (t23832)
Button (t31389)
SB (t46168)
BB (t13735)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t1600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t23757</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls t22157.

Flop: (t47739) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t47739) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t47739) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t47739

Results in white below:
UTG has Kh Qc (two pair, queens and tens).
Hero has Ah 9h (one pair, tens).
Outcome: UTG wins t47739.

First i want to say that this is NOT a bad beat post.

I'm new to mtts and i became impatient on the FT bubble and made what i think may be a suspect push. Villian had become very loose and the table had bunkered down. I believed that i was ahead of his range.

1. was the push bad/good?

Given that i pushed, villian could resonably assume that i don't have QQ+. At worst he could be against AK/AQ.... everything else he's flipping

2.Villian has almost double my stack.Given this and the above statement, would it be correct to call knowing you'd be in a position to run the final table if you win and an average stack if you loose?

thx.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: $4/180: A9s vs. Lag

[ QUOTE ]

I'm new to mtts and i became impatient on the FT bubble and made what i think may be a suspect push. Villian had become very loose and the table had bunkered down. I believed that i was ahead of his range.

1. was the push bad/good?

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that you answered your own question here. Recognize please that even though you make a +ev play it doesn't mean that you are going to win everytime.

[ QUOTE ]

Given that i pushed, villian could resonably assume that i don't have QQ+. At worst he could be against AK/AQ.... everything else he's flipping

2.Villian has almost double my stack.Given this and the above statement, would it be correct to call knowing you'd be in a position to run the final table if you win and an average stack if you loose?

thx.

[/ QUOTE ]

His call isn't all that good really vs. the odds he is getting. However, I don't know your image in the villian's eyes. For example have you been restealing alot? Could villian think he is ahead of your range to do such a play? Is villian capable of this kind of thinking?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:00 PM

With your read, the play was good. The villain is likely incapable of deep thinking and got lucky. Keep playing the same way, even though PS is rigged. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2007, 06:09 PM

Why is this better than making it 4500?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:44 PM

I was being aggro in position, stealing the blinds occasionally but hadn't tried a resteal yet. I don't expect to win every time, but i immediately question whether it was the best option in this situation.

I think he would've called 2900 (if i raised to 4500) more and try to pressure me post-flop, which is what he'd been doing. Maybe I could've tried raising to 6000, which might've been scarier than an all-in... if he is thinking. I'd have to shut down if called though, which is not appealing.

My 2nd question doesnt really concern this villian in particular. But whether or not it is correct to make a possibly -ev call given these particular circumstances.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:53 PM

30BB is too much to be committing w/ A9s pre-flop, in this siutation. I'd prefer to take a cheap flop with position, then decide what to do. If you get squeezed, you can use your reads to make a decision.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is this better than making it 4500?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops yeah I should have seen that