Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Huge FT stack... what is my approach?

I havent played sngs or mtts in a long time. I played a 5 table sng on FTP recently and when we got to the final table I this humongous chip lead. see here

what is the correct approach here
1. keep the pressure on... raising AI often
2. sit back, steal occassionally but generally hold on to chips

blinds were 500/1000

and what is your approach if you're one of the average stacks in this scenario?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Huge FT stack... what is my approach?

Keep the pressure on, but be careful about calling off chips because you can afford it. People aren't going to want to get involved with you, so be very aggressive when you're first in, but very cautious when someone has already entered the pot (I'm assuming blinds are too high for resteals at this point, maybe not.) Also, at least on stars, the payout structure is a lot flatter than a normal MTT, which is an argument for playing more cautiously.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:58 PM

My style is to move to tight/very aggressive. You want those other stacks to fear you. So what you will be doing a lot is playing in position, c-betting, re-raising preflop and attacking weakness. You should not be going to showdown very often.

The downside to this is that your implied odds will be low since players will not be paying you off so limping with low PP will not be a winning play. Raise your suited connectors and low PP and play them for value.

Also beware of stacks that are taking chances to double up. They will come over the top all-in on some of your steals so steal less from them.

If I'm an average stack here, I really want to see how big stack is playing. If he is loose and throwing his stack around like a morning star, I will look to double through him. If he is playing like I described above, I will avoid him.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:03 PM

blinds are 500/1000, theres not room for very much post-flop play here. In this spot I wouldn't be stealing since I don't expect people to fold very much. I would tighten up a little bit here, but not too much. Wait for any kind of decent hand and probably just open push whenever you get one.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
blinds are 500/1000, theres not room for very much post-flop play here. In this spot I wouldn't be stealing since I don't expect people to fold very much. I would tighten up a little bit here, but not too much. Wait for any kind of decent hand and probably just open push whenever you get one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ooops, I didn't even look at the blind levels. My answer is for blinds of 50/100 not 500/1000.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:45 PM

I think I'd open-push almost every hand. Everyone is going to be waiting for the other guys to bust and make mistakes and will be very tight. Also, none of them are super-short right now, so they all think they have room to fold for a bit and let someone else bust.

And worse case if you get called and lose, you're barely cutting into your $equity at all because you'll still have a big CL even if you lose.

Basically, I'd abuse the crap out of this situation until some opponents got short enough that they'd be super-desperate.

This seems very much like the latter stages of a STT where you have the big CL and a few other guys have even size mid-stacks, and the right play there is to basically push every hand and abuse everyone else. I'd do the same thing here.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:48 PM

You are so huge they are all thinking about second place ... I'd be very aggressive here
Old 06-27-2007, 03:46 PM

Blinds 500-1000?

Shove like almost every hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

...seriously
Old 06-27-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blinds 500-1000?

Shove like almost every hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

...seriously

[/ QUOTE ]

Any hand I am going to play anyway. As the payout structures become more "bubbly" shoving every hand gets better.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:37 PM

I tightened up alot because any raise i made would basically commit me... and since i had been playing aggressively already, i thought it more likely someone would push on me. but i shouldve just shoved almost everyhand anyway.

thanks for the responses.