Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Personal security, disaster prepardness, and what are you doing?

something Ive been putting off for awhile is getting my disaster prepardness kit together, I have a crappy one, with some random stuff, water tabs, knife, cash, handgun, pancho, and flashlight/glow sticks. I want to put a more comprehensive kit together though, and would like to know what you guys think should go in it.

another thing I have put off is security for my apartment, I have a crude camera system, but I want to upgrade to something that Ic an check on the road with my PDA, there is a linux distro out there taht I will be using called zoneminder to get the cameras on the web. But what about other security? Ive heard shotguns are the best home defence, and Im not a big gun nut, but I wouldnt mind having the piece of mind, maybe with some non-lethal rounds? how abotu tazers? alarms? etc? any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Personal security, disaster prepardness, and what are you doing?

guids man, sounds like you've got it covered.

the kind of event that would make a disaster kit useful is the exact kind of event that is impossible to plan for. i think if you have water, weapons and cash, you'll probably be better off than 99% of the people. it's like the guy hiking with a buddy who ties his shoes when he sees a bear. he doesn't have to outrun the bear, just his buddy!

are you keeping this stuff in your apartment, or in some other location near-by? or both?

any guess as to what disasters will come up? you thinking more natural disaster, or like, war and revolt stuff. or aliens?
Old 06-10-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
something Ive been putting off for awhile is getting my disaster prepardness kit together, I have a crappy one, with some random stuff, water tabs, knife, cash, handgun, pancho, and flashlight/glow sticks. I want to put a more comprehensive kit together though, and would like to know what you guys think should go in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If such a disaster happened where you would really need such a kit, isn't the world already [censored] beyond repair?

For instance, what good would a kit have done to people in the 9th Ward of NO? I don't know, that's always been my opinion on things. I really don't see how a kit is going to help you out.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If such a disaster happened where you would really need such a kit, isn't the world already [censored] beyond repair?

For instance, what good would a kit have done to people in the 9th Ward of NO? I don't know, that's always been my opinion on things. I really don't see how a kit is going to help you out.

[/ QUOTE ]

a big part of how well these kits do their job is knowing how to use them, and being resourceful/creative. Ie, macguyver.

I have everything in my apratment right now, I actually forgot to ask that question too, should I have 3 kits, a car kit, one for the apartment, and one buried somewhere? What else should I put in the kits, Im going to a military surplus store tommorow to check more stuff out, 1 thing I dont have is a first aid kit. Any good books on the subject?

and if any of you gun guys would elaborate that subject, I have shot .22, a shot gun, and a revolver at the range (like 25 rounds). we had a gun range in HS, so Im a good shot with a .22. im thimking of finding a tactical shotgun w/ flash light, and a 18inch barrel? what else should I be going for?
Old 06-10-2007, 09:54 PM

tactical shotgun w/ a light is obv. best choice, sound like you already know that.

next on the list would be a 9mm glock with an M6 light/laser combo, and a high cap magazine. you're going to be full of adreneline when the time comes, and a 9mm is easier to control, and you'll have like 33 chances w/ the high capacity magazine. plus a laser dot on somebody might be enough to stop someone w/out having to shoot. maybe. you can also get some P++ rounds in 9mm that are pretty lethal, enough that smart people still argue they are better to carry than a .40 cal. no comment on who is right, but they're in the same ballpark at least. the glock is also more portable and lighter, if you need to travel any distances.

a little disclosure though, i think this stuff can be fun to plan for and talk about, but i have absolutely nothing of hte sort. i keep a mag-light in my car, that's about it.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tactical shotgun w/ a light is obv. best choice, sound like you already know that.

next on the list would be a 9mm glock with an M6 light/laser combo, and a high cap magazine. you're going to be full of adreneline when the time comes, and a 9mm is easier to control, and you'll have like 33 chances w/ the high capacity magazine. plus a laser dot on somebody might be enough to stop someone w/out having to shoot. maybe. you can also get some P++ rounds in 9mm that are pretty lethal, enough that smart people still argue they are better to carry than a .40 cal. no comment on who is right, but they're in the same ballpark at least. the glock is also more portable and lighter, if you need to travel any distances.

a little disclosure though, i think this stuff can be fun to plan for and talk about, but i have absolutely nothing of hte sort. i keep a mag-light in my car, that's about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What Im worried about is penetration, with a handgun, thats whay I dont want to keep them for home protection, and think a shotgun w/ non lethal is the best way to go.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:32 PM

For a bugout bag you'll need a good first-aid kit. Also, your needs will vary pretty dramatically depending on whether you live in an urban area vs. a rural one.

I'm assuming you carry a cellphone, but I would put a prepaid cell in your bugout bag as well along with a map/compass. Also stick some meal replacement bars in your pack, you can eat them before they expire and replace them as needed (assuming you live in a fairly populated area where you'll have easy access to food).

I think preparing for the first few days (maybe a week) is all that's really necessary, considering that if the disaster is massive enough that you're unable to access supplies/shelter within a week, a bugout bag isn't going to do you much good for longterm survival.

Check this website out for a ton of good information.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For a bugout bag you'll need a good first-aid kit. Also, your needs will vary pretty dramatically depending on whether you live in an urban area vs. a rural one.

I'm assuming you carry a cellphone, but I would put a prepaid cell in your bugout bag as well along with a map/compass. Also stick some meal replacement bars in your pack, you can eat them before they expire and replace them as needed (assuming you live in a fairly populated area where you'll have easy access to food).

I think preparing for the first few days (maybe a week) is all that's really necessary, considering that if the disaster is massive enough that you're unable to access supplies/shelter within a week, a bugout bag isn't going to do you much good for longterm survival.

Check this website out for a ton of good information.

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet thats the type of stuff I was looking for. Im in an urban area. how far do you go with this kind of stuff? my dad has a huge garage, abotu 12 or 13 cars, with an office, adn a bunch of crap, so I will be ableto store stuff. he already has like 8 generators, all kinds of propane heaters, crap like that, that he got for cheap, and sells, so it varies (ie, he isnt doing it for preparedness). but how much stuff, and how far do you go before you are hitting paranoia/doing too much.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:08 PM

Knowing how to use your gear effectively and having plans for the most likely contingencies are way more important than the gear you have, and it's going to vary a lot based on location.

I'm gear nut, so I upgrade my gear a lot. I'm also single with no family or dependents in a large urban area, so I don't really have to have much in my pack. My most (relatively) likely problems are stuff like power outages, problems with water supply, fire, civil disturbances, and personal safety.

I think if you have a local 'safety net' of family and friends along with a good mode of transportation, you can get by with a super simple kit, especially if you're not in an area that's at a high risk for natural disasters.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:16 PM

What the hell.

Isn't this all a bit overboard? My emergency kit is an ATM card. If I can't buy the [censored] I need, the world is [censored] anyways.