Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 12:44 AM

Default So who\'s a winner?

Sorry I just need any kind of verification that you can actually win money playing any kind of limit poker, let alone small limits. I just got done losing my 5th session in a row online, I play .50/$1 with a $100 in my account, and just dropped $25 (25 BB) on four tables in half an hour. It's really suprising, I must have a ton of leaks in my game, as I only played rather good hands and I even cleaned up with a four of a kind versus a FH, raising wars on 4th and 5th....and i still lost so much! Not having to really pay a serious rake or tip anyone, and still losing a 1/4 of your roll that fast....and now that I think about it, all i've been doing for the last two years is winning alittle at sits, and losing it everytime at limit. I know i'm not the best player, but playing a SSHE game should yield a win, even occasionally, right? Sorry if this sounds like a rant, someone please correct my thinking, before I give up.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:54 AM

Default Re: So who\'s a winner?

You lost 25BB not 50... which is absolutely nothing. I've lost 25BB in eighteen hands once.

I win. I will gladly post my stats if you want(It's live but I keep records) Ask James how much I love to post my stats [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2007, 01:07 AM

You are playing way too high for your current bankroll, unless you plan on replenishing it from time to time. The standard rule in limit is 300 big bets for the stakes you're playing, preferably more. That's to guard against the very types of swings which you're apparently suffering right now.

As far as potential leaks, ask yourself a few questions when you're in the midst of a downswing:

-Do you feel like you have to keep playing, at least until you've won back some of what you've lost?
-Do you see a premium starting hand and think to yourself, "how am I going to lose this time?"
-Are there certain players at the table that you just can't wait to "get back at"?
-Do you find yourself making excuses in order to play mediocre or poor hands preflop, or to call down/peel after the flop?
-If you get off to a great start in your session, but then end up losing back most (but not all) of your winnings, does it feel like a losing session?

Etc, etc...I think that a lot of people don't fully realize how much of this game is mental. I'm not saying that sitting at the table with a positive attitude, accepting that suckouts happen & sometimes it's just not going to be your night, and other "poker zen" thoughts is going to guarantee you a winning session. However, being in the proper state of mind when you're at the table likely will cut down significantly on your losses when the cards do run against you.

And FYI, in the current state of things, small stakes LHE games online are pretty tough, even down into the micro stakes. Still beatable yes, but you have to be better than before to do it.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:26 AM

post hands.

i can also tell you that "playing good hands" is not nearly enough to make you a winning player.

i also disagree with playing with 100BB for your stake...you are severely underbankrolled for it.

finally, losing 25 BB is nothing in a limit game. my average downswing, even over one live session, is 30-50 BB.

to answer your other question:

yes, i have been winning consistently for about 2 years, but im a live player so i cant give you detailed stats. i can tell you that my rate this year playing live is approx 3 BB/hr over the last 350 or so hours of play. fwiw i have been running well and this is likely not a sustainable rate.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You lost 25BB not 50... which is absolutely nothing. I've lost 25BB in eighteen hands once.

I win. I will gladly post my stats if you want(It's live but I keep records) Ask James how much I love to post my stats [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I lost 17BBs in one hand last week.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:51 AM

I play $5/$10 (5% comission) and $10/$20 live at the Treasury in Brisbane and make anywhere from $800.00-$1600.00 (with the occasional hot streaks) a week doing so.

I would estimate I'm playing about 4 hours a night and the tables do pay a lot more then online poker once you have made a hand. That being said you will also have people chasing their draws and calling light a lot more often.

@StrictlyStrategy: Would love to see stats - Are you using a spreadsheet or application to track it?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I lost 17BBs in one hand last week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm obviously a better player than you. You probably have a gambling problem!!!! (Seriously though, we need that HH)

[ QUOTE ]

@StrictlyStrategy: Would love to see stats - Are you using a spreadsheet or application to track it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually use an extremely sophisticated data logging entry program, called "notepad.exe"

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2007, 03:50 AM

Looks like it's possible to win to me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But I do believe that nasty downswing at the end there was all after the stupid law... and I have switched atleast 80% of my play over to NL to be honest.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:24 AM

During the last 100k hands I had 8 downswings between approx. 100-200 BB. That's full-ring limit, my standard game, for which I'm a long term winner.

I also tried 6max, but I can't handle the variance there. So in case you were planning that, something to make you think again [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] :

400 BB downer in 4k hands! -10 BB/100. Brutal. I must have tilted, but I can't really recall I did. My stats were still ok.

That way I prefer full-ring, but I also didn't do too well in those last 100k with the 8 downswings... Clearly winning though, and that's what you asked to see, right?

(This is all on those tough, morning time, post-law, stars 2/4 and 3/6 tables; usually a table average of 18/10/2.5 ... sigh, I miss party)
Old 07-08-2007, 09:49 AM

Well I'm bored.

holla @ heatarz

May 2-4
Borg 10 +1850

May 9-11
Borg 20 +200
Borg 10 +750

May 13

Tony 2-4 +20

May 16-18
Borg 1-2 -200
Borg 2-4 -30 (huge tipping drunken fun)
Borg 10 +2500
(Got 2 nights in hotel @ 114 each, one paid by comps other was cash)

May 20
Tony 2-4
(NO AC played in BJ tournament lost $0)

May 29-30

Borg 20 -2200
Borg 10 +400 Totals 10: +$5500 20 -$2000 net: +3490
-------------------------------------------

June 6-7
Borg 20 -1200
Borg 10 +750

June 13-14
Borg 10 -280

June 20-21

Borg 10 +1200
-$100 penny slots(for comped rooms obv)
10 OE w. halfkill - Lost a little, not a lot, left trip +1200 in poker.

June 27-29

10 +1000
OE +1200
two nights + $40 room service + $30 at 4 card poker to turn $6,999 in to $7,000.

Totals: 20 -$1200 10: +2670 OE +1200 net: 2670

------------------------------------------------
July 4-5
Borg 20 +1200
Borg 10 +1300
OE -100