Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 11-28-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Defining your hand: is it ever a good idea?

I see talk about "defining your hand". To me, that means letting your opponent know what you have. It seems like you don't want to do that, although it may sometimes be a necessary side effect of correct play. Is defining your hand ever a good idea?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Defining your hand: is it ever a good idea?

This always tilts me...

I mean, everything you do in theory somehow defines your hand. Every action you take in the hand will always somehow alter his perceived range of you, thus everything you do "defines" your hand to some degree.

But in general, when people say they're going to "define" their hand, they do in fact narrow it down pretty tight which is an awful thing to do.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:55 PM

WRT the other thread, perhaps a better choice of words in my post should have been "protecting our hand."

I obviously agree we're not trying to make it easier for opponents to read us.

I think that by not taking the lead, we can make it easier for villains to suck out on us AND not let us know enough about what THEY have.

E.G. in that other thread suppose Villain hit a kicker to make two pair on the turn while we were cryptically just calling and keeping our range less defined.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:06 PM

I am not talking about the other thread. I was somewhat inspired by the other thread, but this is a general question. If you want to discuss the other thread, please discuss it in the other thread.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:28 PM

It seems to me that when people talk about defining their hand they really mean defining their opponent's hand.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that when people talk about defining their hand they really mean defining their opponent's hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a combination. You are making it kind of obvious what you have to your opponent, so that you can figure out what they have and act accordingly.

To betgo's original question, I do think it can sometimes be a good idea. It would clearly need to be against an unsophisticated opponent who won't think any deeper than "looks like he's got an overpair!" I don't personally do this, but before you say it's always a terrible idea, remember that not all opponents are as smart as you and capable of exploiting anything.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:24 PM

how is it possible to "define ur hand" if you play atleast a somewhat balanced gameplan?

This thread is confusing
Old 11-28-2007, 10:38 PM

Simply having a "somewhat balanced gameplan" doesn't mean there aren't certain combinations of flops/turns/rivers along with your betting action that you'd only do with a specific type of hand.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:43 PM

so are u saying that those flops/turns/rivers u have one specific hand cause that means ur range is not balanced.

if youre saying that certain sequences narrow our hand range soemtimes, thats true, but that still doesnt "define our hand"

I mean I cant think of a single situation that comes up for a competent player besides super rare situations where ur like 1000bbs deep where an opponent can say you have "x" hand, and not "x" range
Old 11-28-2007, 10:43 PM

I don't believe that defining your hand is a good idea. I think that this only works against weak minded opponents who are not going to be able to lay down hands against you even if you showed them your hand during the middle of play. I believe that maybe defining where you believe you are in the hand can be beneficial to you as a player. Not necessarily defining your hand to your opponent but acting accordingly to see where you stand in the hand in your opinion and see where your opponent is as well. Tough thread, good topic, like to see what everyone else thinks. Whats your opinion betgo?