Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 03:30 AM

Default I\'m confused (Oz season 4) *Spoilers*

I'm halfway into season 4 and I just finished the episode where Adebisi is killed. Now, I just looked at Wiki's page of Simon Adebisi and you'll see why I'm a little confused in a minute. Wiki is pretty indepth and accurate from their descriptions of events and the reasons behind certain actions. They've helped me understand different things in the Sopranos and the Wire, so I looked on Adebisi's page to confirm what I believe I saw, and this is what was written about Adebisi's death:

When the reinstated prison governor Tim McManus announces Adebisi's transfer from Emerald City, Adebisi is enraged and storms into his cell to kill Said with a knife. The two of them struggle and the altercation ends when a pool of blood is seen staining the surrounding white curtain. Adebisi emerges from his cell, apparently victorious, before revealing his fatal injuries by spitting up blood and falling to the floor. Said comes out behind him with the bloody knife in hand, having killed Adebisi in self-defense.

I did a half assed google search and it seemed like everybody thinks Adebisi and Said got into a struggle, Said stabs Adebisi and kills him.

As I understood the scene, Adebisi forces Said to kill him. I've rewatched this scene several times to make sure I'm not hearing/seeing anything. Adebisi grabs Said and holds him at knifepoint. He tells Said, "So the end is here huh?" Said tells him that it's not the end, things would just go back to the way they used to be. Adebisi says through his teeth "not for me, or for you." Adebisi then gives a speech about how Said betrayed him and then with his knife cuts Said's cheek and says, "This is how I'm going to die." Said stammers back "no, no!" and then Adebisi says "oh yes! yes!" You then see Adebisi and Said locking arms in a struggle, with Adebisi holding the knife in what appears to be his direction and he forces Said to kill him more or less.

Am I right here? Every time I rewatch this scene it seems more and more evident to me but it makes no sense that seemingly all the discussion has passed this by, as it is a pretty major detail.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:40 AM

Default Re: I\'m confused (Oz season 4) *Spoilers*

I haven't watched the scene so closely, but when I first saw it I was pretty sure that Adebisi wanted Said dead. Maybe the thick accent that Adebisi has throws you off here?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:05 AM

IIRC, it's explained with a bit more clarity within a few episodes.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:18 AM

I think it's exactly as Wiki said. I understand how Adebisi's line can be confusing, but I always viewed it as him knowing that murdering Said would put him on death row.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:55 PM

I don't recall the scene in as much detail but I remember seeing it the way wiki did.

Also, you can pretty much stop watching oz at this ep, the slide has already started and soon it's going to get much much worse.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:21 PM

Like wiki said. Next 2 seasons are Said being tormented over his death and schillinger/beecher/keller drama. Finish them out but nothing as special as the first 4 seasons.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:04 PM

I always watch Oz with subtitles, this was a direct quote from Adebisi when he says "This is how I'm gonna die." He even points to himself with his thumb as he says this.

I mean, he could easily have killed Said several times during that scene. Besides I don't think there is any way Said would stand a chance in a real battle like that against Adebisi, especially with Adebisi holding the knife like he was.

Amazing that the clip isn't on youtube, given several other Oz clips are on there. I urge those of you who think otherwise to rewatch the clip again and give me your opinion. I really believe I'm right on this.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:05 PM

I still can't figure out what ended up being worst: The aging pills or the chinese refugees.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:17 PM

Please don't post spoilers for future episodes. I already had Adebisi's death spoiled by somebody in OOT before I even watched the show.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't recall the scene in as much detail but I remember seeing it the way wiki did.

Also, you can pretty much stop watching oz at this ep, the slide has already started and soon it's going to get much much worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm kinda running out of very good television series now. I've seen all of the Sopranos, all of Lost, and all but the 4th season of the Wire (waiting for it to hit dvd). Even though Adebisi is gone I still am interested to see how the Beecher/Schillinger/Keller stuff ends and I like Ryan O'Reilly's character and all his schemes. I don't expect Oz to be quite as good without Adebisi, but I still expect it to be entertaining and still better than most stuff on TV and therefore worth watching.

But I'm still interested in more thoughts on the OP. I asked Triumph about it last night when I watched it and he more or less agreed with me. I probably would have overlooked it if I had not been initially watching with subtitles on.