Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-20-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Selling the Wii?

So it looks like the Wii shortage is going to continue through the Christmas season.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Gad...235&page=1

Is anybody out there going to try to sell their used Wii after the Black Friday rush? I figure that after this point, most parents will start panicking if they don't have one and the price will go through the roof.

The issue will be getting my wife and kid to buy off on making a quick buck for the loss of use of a wii for a couple months until we can buy a new one.

Discuss.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Selling the Wii?

Haha, instead of giving your kid toys for Christmas, you're gonna take away the ones he already has. Nice.

All I know about this is that I remember last year when Wiis and PS3s were supposed to sell for a killing and a lot of people couldn't find anyone to buy them for face value.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:51 AM

last year u could sell wiis for 5-700

the question for u is what amount of profit is worth taking ur kid's toy away? what if u can only sell it for 300? is that $50 worth it? 400? 500?

i think a better line to take would be to get to a store early and buy one to sell; then u can make the quick buck but u don't take away ur kid's toy
Old 11-20-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Haha, instead of giving your kid toys for Christmas, you're gonna take away the ones he already has.

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me laugh loud enough to have my office neighbors wondering...

OP: Don't bother- there's over 2000 (if I'm reading this right) of these things on eBay. For what they seem to be getting, it's not worth playing the Grinch to your children & wife.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:25 PM

when I was at TRU trying to get Mario Galaxy the day it came out, the one chick who really didn't know what she was doing or what she was supposed to say when people asked her certain questions basically admitted that, at least, TRU was helping to maintain an artificial shortage of Wii's.

The way she explained it, when they get their shipment in of Wii's they have to make that last the next month or two.
So, in this instance, on Sunday they were going to be selling some of them, but they were only allowed to sell 5 of them because the rest had to last (to be released a couple at a time) until about the next shipment was due to arrive...
Old 11-20-2007, 12:52 PM

I don't think it's worth it taking your kids' toy to make a quick buck, then deprive them of it for a few months. You're not going to be popular with them for a while if you do [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Scout around to see if any shops have them in stock for RRP and buy one of those.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:11 PM

It's not that serious anymore.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:43 PM

It is hilarious. I'm lucky in that my 5 year old already understands the utility of money.

For example, if I tell him that we can make $150 selling the Wii and I'll give him $50 of it to spend on any toys he wants, he'll be all for it. He can just play the PS2 and would happy with it. The wife is not an issue.

As for the actual selling of the Wii, I will be interested to see what happens to prices on ebay after this weekend. This minute, listings for just the Wii with no other items are selling for $400. I'm thinking worried parents will begin freaking out next Monday.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TRU was helping to maintain an artificial shortage of Wii's...when they get their shipment in of Wii's they have to make that last the next month or two.
So, in this instance, on Sunday they were going to be selling some of them, but they were only allowed to sell 5 of them because the rest had to last

[/ QUOTE ]

that isn't helping with some artificial shortage...that is simply spreading out when they sell their limited stock

if they sold them all on d1 after getting the shipment, they'd have 0 left to sell for the next month until they got another shipment

it's not like they are keeping 1000 in the back while more shipments are coming in...they are selling all of them prior to new shipments, just in small doses rather than selling out 1st hour
Old 11-20-2007, 04:31 PM

I doubt you'll be able to sell a used Wii for more than you paid for it unless you lie on the ad.