Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Foxwoods 5/10 NL slowplayed set against guy who can bluff

Villain and I both have about 2500. He raises to 60 from early position, 3 people call, and I call with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] out of the big blind, so 300 in the pot. Villain is somewhat tricky and can raise preflop with all kinds of stuff. He is not afraid to continue stabbing at the pot with nothing after the flop, and in fact he isn't so great at picking his spots to bluff. Also, I know he is capable of laying down decent hands if he feels he is beat.

Flop comes 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. As I am thinking about what to do, villain bets 225 out of turn, seems like a genuine mistake. I decide to check and just let him bet. Everyone else folds and I just call.

Turn is 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and I check again. He bets 300. It's a relatively small bet, so I don't put him on a monster at this point, but besides that he could have all kinds of stuff. I decide to just call. He could draw out on me on the river, but I figure the extra value I can get when he isn't drawing or doesn't hit makes up for it.

River is a 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and I weak lead for 300. I am hoping to get a call from a one pair hand or a raise from a nothing hand. Comments on all streets would be appreciated.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods 5/10 NL slowplayed set against guy who can bluff

c/r flop or c/r turn, if hes raising all stuff this board might aswell have hit him.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:12 PM

Live play?

Raise the flop.

Raise the turn.

Dependent on the results of these actions, river should play itself.

Don't c/c sets live, you are basically throwing money in the garbage. He may bluff frequently, but not often enough to counteract the times he has a legit hand here and will call your raises.

* I just noticed you checked and he led out after accidentally betting. In this case, change my thought process to either you leading out (preferred) or C/Ring.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:12 PM

I think the lead is too weak on the river, because it seems like a blockbet from a scared T. What do you do when he raises to 1200, fold?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the lead is too weak on the river, because it seems like a blockbet from a scared T. What do you do when he raises to 1200, fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I want him to raise. I plan to call if he does.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:20 PM

This seems like an OK line of thinking if you have this guy pegged as a maniac who will raise a very marginal hand for value, or bluff a lot. As to the former, he really can't be value raising many hands on this river, so your lead out/call plan has to be one designed to pickoff air.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:22 PM

Actually now I am thinking that check-calling the flop wasn't horrible, but I should definitely check raise the turn because at that point I could be representing a big draw and maybe if he has an overpair he will convince himself to go all the way with it.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:23 PM

you are deep with a set vs an opponent who, from you description, seems like not a very good post flop player. check raise this flop, build a big pot, and allow him to make a mistake on the later streets.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems like an OK line of thinking if you have this guy pegged as a maniac who will raise a very marginal hand for value, or bluff a lot. As to the former, he really can't be value raising many hands on this river, so your lead out/call plan has to be one designed to pickoff air.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I definitely don't see him valuebetting worse there. I am looking to get a call from a worse hand or a raise from complete air.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:26 PM

It will be tough for you to convince him that you have turned a big draw, simple because there are few hands you could have called preflop and on the flop with that are now a big draw. Unless you somehow have 4s3s or peeled with AsKs etc, you can't really have a big draw on the turn.

This much being said, you can still CR the turn and have him go all the way with it because he will do so with an overpair. It would be more because he's a live player with an overpair than it would be him thinking he has call in case you're drawing.