Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Poker After Dark thread (10/8 - Mega Match)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOVE Allen owning Phil's ass with all the 3/4bets and gettinga away with it with worse hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I especially liked the 4-bet with KQ. It was an excellent demonstration of how playing your stack size effectively can neutralize even the very best opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont forget the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hand either lol...I believe his table image early on played a huge part in being able to execute game plan in the later stages of the game, just has much as his stack.

- JA

[/ QUOTE ]

And AC did nothing to dispel it.

BG: Nothing scarier than AC with a big stack.

AC: Nothing scarier than AC getting cards.

Funny....
Old 10-14-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am friends with all of the other players, but Phil and I are closer so it's normal for us to needle each other. I thought people would appreciate seeing this side of Phil, so I intentionally engaged him.

All of us like Allen and he does occasionally play in the side games with us, but he is not the kind of person I would needle on national television. (And Melissa would track me down!)

I don't think I ignored anyone, but, remember, this is edited and they probably wanted to get as much Ivey banter as they could get.

If I were to apologize to the viewers, it would be for too much prop talk. I assumed most of that would have been edited out.

This was filmed when the golf disagreement was in its most intense phase, otherwise we wouldn't have kept bringing that up.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

TV poker talk isn't all-needle all the time. Seems like you could talk to Allen without necessarily needling him. There are subtle social things that go on in public places. So you're friendly with Allen, but not friendly enough to talk to him, look at him, or acknowledge his existence?

Cunningham is as big a mystery as Ivey is. You're closer to Ivey, so you talked more to him, no problem. You were also showing that you're as much of an alpha dog as Ivey is by dominating the conversation and holding his attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with a previous poster. Can't you guys watch these shows and not constantly criticze everyone on the show? This was a good week of PAD.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:54 AM

I didn't really like the way Phil Ivey's hair looked. Kind of ruined the week for me.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:24 PM

Wow, Allen is the friggin' man. I really enjoyed watching PAD this week. All of the banter, the play, and the raised buy in made it more entertaining for me. There was also some nice drama as far as I could see. At first it looked like Phil was getting the best of Allen, then Allen switched it around and it made for a nice spectacle. Sure, he was getting good cards but also showed that timing is just about everything. My level of respect for Allen's play was already very high, but it has since grown from watching this most recent show. I can definitely see why he has done so well in hold'em tournaments over the past few years, his gear shifting was precise, fearless, and intelligent--even up against Phil freaking Ivey, hehe.

More to what is being spoken of here, I personally didn't see a big problem with how Barry was treating everyone. Usually being the quiet guy in a group myself, I think I can kinda relate to Allen. Allen just kinda hangs back, doesn't want to get trapped in any huge conversation or banter, makes a comment or two when the time is right, and carries out his business. When it was down to only a few people, you could hear him nicely, but jumping in the middle of four or five people chattering doesn't seem like his thing, nor would it be mine. Even with all of that he still got some compliments and joking, but not being on the same level of friendship as say Phil and Barry, he couldn't have expected a whole lot. Barry and Phil were hands-down the closest friends there, no one else should have expected a ton of attention from them, that's just something they'd have to get over I'd think.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:05 PM

This was such an awesome PAD. Ivey and Barry are like Negreanu and Matusow except infinitely more awesome. This needs to be capitalized more.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:01 PM

Its Allen [censored] Cunnigham

The play on Pad seems infinite times better than Hsp this season.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:25 PM

I know there is always a love fest with Barry and Ivey in here, but there were clearly a couple of spots when it got a bit uncomfortable to watch for myself.

It's possible that the level of discomfort was caused by the editing. Obviously, we can only comment on what we saw. But there were times when Harman would try to either start up her own conversation or contribute to the Ivey/Barry chat and it seemed pretty clear that they weren't going to respond to her.

Barry's response did not dispel what i suggested, he merely said that he was concerned with getting Ivey to open up. He did a great job of that and the show was better for it. But it doesn't mean that anyone here was wrong when they claimed to notice their attitude towards the other players.

I also don't think BarryG has anything to apologize for (which he alluded to in his post). This was one of the best shows, thanks in part to the table chat.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:09 PM

<3 Cunningham
Old 10-14-2007, 11:38 PM

I can't wait for november 5 to see Seat 1: Alan "Boston" Dvorkis
Seat 2: Antonio Esfandiari
Seat 3: Mike Sexton
Seat 4: Mike Matusow
Seat 5: Jamie Gold
Seat 6: Paul Wasicka

I'm looking forward to see Mike Sexton play
Old 10-15-2007, 05:45 AM

wow me too
and wasicka
I think he can play poker well.. hope he crushes gold