Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-25-2007, 06:11 PM

Default TR: Magic the Gathering

this thread is the followup to the previous thread i made asking why there were so many magic pros were poker pros.

first off, i never played the game before, i have no dungeons and dragons background, ive never been into geeky stuff like this, i have a gf, and a good job (assistant project manager for a construction management firm renovating 4 schools, project worth 33million and im only 19). my point is, im a somewhat normal person, id say not much different from most of you guys other than the fact that i got a ballin job at 19 with no degree and i see my gfs [censored] bounce in my face just about every morning before i take her to work. key poit- im not inclined to this sort of thing.

so i go to yahoo, find my way to magics online version of the card game, figure out the rules/ flow of the game, download the demo, and suck for about an hour. at first i thought there was too much luck and the other guys were pros, but the demo was beginners only using default decks, so i tried and started getting thos "ooohh i get it" moments. i start winning a bit, still mostly losing, but i definitely start to see the strategy, skill needed to be good at ths game. even thought its a demo its really a pretty good game cuz every match is always different and its no doubt fun and challenging. stil not sure if i should pay 10-20 bux to get a custom deck, theres thousands of different cards/ strategies and i think it takes some time figurin it all out. when i do have free time/ bored ill check it out some more. one message i got from a 2+2er is that its better with friends so you can learn, talk, and strategize about it, which makes sense but i dont want to turn this into a real hobby. the fact that its online would keep me away from the annoying nerd hangouts/ conventions so thats nice. all in all its a pretty good game if your mature enough to get over the "wizards and magic are teh gay" stuff. some commitment needed but im sure its worth it if you have time and friends to go along with you.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: TR: Magic the Gathering

Great post!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:00 PM

pics of girlfriends [censored] or it didnt happen
Old 10-25-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i see my gfs [censored] bounce in my face just about every morning before i take her to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope
Old 10-25-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i see my gfs [censored] bounce in my face just about every morning before i take her to work.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't know "mud flaps" was censored.

EDIT: hmmmm.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't know "mud flaps" was censored.

EDIT: hmmmm.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not, but "beeef curtains" is.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

so i go to yahoo

[/ QUOTE ]

Whole long paragraph that says "i'm not a nerd" not really needed if followed by "so i go to yahoo".
Old 10-25-2007, 07:21 PM

But how is your job?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:46 PM

This will be interesting. Thanks for keeping us informed, huber.

<nerd alert>

Once you get a bit better, I recommend this article for strategic basis: http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/3690.html

</nerd alert>
Old 10-25-2007, 08:38 PM

I haven't played MTG since high school, and now, five years later I somehow heard that there was a new set coming out.

As I have been finding myself increasingly bored with poker, I figured I'd give it a shot. I played a few matches and a booster draft today and realized that Magic can still be pretty fun.

The new set is coming out (online anyway) in a week or so and I think I might get back into it a little bit as a diversion.