Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 09-04-2007, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Scary Air Travel Experiences

The worst flight I have taken was a few years ago. Philadelphia to New Orleans. There was a major storm in New Orleans causing us to circle the airport for 45 minutes or so with heavy turbulence. Finally the pilot hit the wall of divert to Mississippi or try to land. He decided to land. Everyone on the plane took a deep sigh of relief when we landed. The only amusing part was watching a guy debate the barf bag and the person next to him holding his knowing he was going to follow suit if the first guy broke.

My friend's plane had to land in MS and refuel because of the severity of the storm.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:45 PM

Old 09-04-2007, 11:47 PM

Old 09-04-2007, 11:53 PM

I really don't know what the deal was. Something was up because the flight attendants didn't seem very much at ease. They are generally who I observe on a flight for nervousness.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The worst flight I have taken was a few years ago. Philadelphia to New Orleans. There was a major storm in New Orleans causing us to circle the airport for 45 minutes or so with heavy turbulence. Finally the pilot hit the wall of divert to Mississippi or try to land. He decided to land. Everyone on the plane took a deep sigh of relief when we landed. The only amusing part was watching a guy debate the barf bag and the person next to him holding his knowing he was going to follow suit if the first guy broke.

My friend's plane had to land in MS and refuel because of the severity of the storm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never understood the storm thing. Its a huge aircraft travelling at fast speeds. How could rain and wind stop it from landing properly? Were you guys scared you might crash?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was on a flight that had to abort a landing because crosswinds were blowing the plane around enough to possibly force a wing to hit the ground.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:02 AM

Well, did you cum or what?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never understood the storm thing. Its a huge aircraft travelling at fast speeds. How could rain and wind stop it from landing properly? Were you guys scared you might crash?

[/ QUOTE ]
The intense updrafts and occasional microbursts of a large storm can definitely cause severe turbulence or even smash a plane into the ground like a toy. Its enough of an issue that planes avoid storms even when they aren't trying to land, so imagine trying to execute a precise landing when being tossed around by 50mph gusts of wind.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:01 AM

Oh man, on one flight I almost had to sit next to a retarded guy. He was drooling and [censored]. It was gross. Fortunately I bothered the stewardess until she moved me.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:10 AM

During a large storm, microburst and windshear (a large shift in direction and speed) are the major factors. If you go from a 25knot headwind to 25knot tailwind in a few hundred feet, resulting in a 50kt loss of airspeed will more than likely cause an airplane to "stall" or lose the required lift to continue flying. Depending on our weight, but the usual approach speed is about 140kts and our stall speed is about 115knots.

There was a delta L1011 that crashed in dallas in the late 80's and an American MD-80 in Little rock in the late 90's that both crashed from windshear/microbursts.

As a side note, enroute we try and avoid any storm by 50 miles.