Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Live $2/5 Turn C/R as a bluff 400bbs deep

Relevant history: Villain is pretty much the only other competent player at the game. He's like 25-30 and wearing a sun glasses and an iPod. He's really cockblocking my attempts to isolate the fish.

Whether through luck or skill he's got pretty decent ranges. He doesn't seem to have very good hand reading skills though. At least my read is that post flop play is his weakness.

He's been 3betting and 4betting me alot; but I showed him the nuts last orbit so my image isn't terrible. When I had the nuts I flopped top set of jacks and checked the flop.

Effective Stacks ~$2000

Two fish limp up front.
Hero raises to $25 from MP with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain 3bets to $75
Fishies fold
Hero 4 bets to $230.
Villain calls.

Pot: $475
Flop 3 4 K rainbow with one spade.

Hero checks
Villain thinks for a minute and checks.

Pot: $475
Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks
Villain bets $475
Hero Shoves for ~$1750

Anyone like? Spew? Standard?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Live $2/5 Turn C/R as a bluff 400bbs deep

If I thought you were solid/tricky at all, this doesn't make a lot of sense. Such a bizarre line, you are repping what? How are you checking the turn with a set? This seems like two spades a lot, especially some kind of combo draw. Trying not to be results oriented, but this line is confusing enough that I'm looking you up a lot here, and I think the way you described villain, he's a lot like me. You are hoping he plays scared enough postflop that c/r=nuts rather than bizarre=callcallcallcallcall?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I thought you were solid/tricky at all, this doesn't make a lot of sense. Such a bizarre line, you are repping what? How are you checking the turn with a set? This seems like two spades a lot, especially some kind of combo draw. Trying not to be results oriented, but this line is confusing enough that I'm looking you up a lot here, and I think the way you described villain, he's a lot like me. You are hoping he plays scared enough postflop that c/r=nuts rather than bizarre=callcallcallcallcall?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the board is pretty dry so I would definitely check KK on the flop. The K wasn't a spade so I could have AKs. So my range here is some sort of combo draw/AKs/KK/AA with AKs/combo draw having the most weight and KK/AA showing up rarely. Does he have the equity here to call with 88-QQ?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:54 PM

What makes a 4bet better that making a play on the flop in a 3bet pot? And why check that flop after 4-betting?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes a 4bet better that making a play on the flop in a 3bet pot? And why check that flop after 4-betting?

[/ QUOTE ]

I 4bet because I'm pretty much never flat calling the 3bet with the top end of my range. Villain has been 3betting with pretty good frequency and I want to represent AA/KK/QQ/AKs here.

If I flat call his 3bet I'm surrendering my betting lead and forcing myself to make a very strong hand since I'm 400bb deep out of position.

I thought since he had seen me check top set earlier I could rep it better by c/r'ing the flop. I could have led the turn and river; but I felt like I maximize my fold equity against pairs by c/r'ing the turn.

Do you guys like a lead flop, lead turn line better?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I want to represent AA/KK/QQ/AKs here.

[/ QUOTE ]

why?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I'm bluffing and want him to have to make a hand to catch my bluff.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I'm bluffing and want him to have to make a hand to catch my bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but 4-betting light, oop against the only "competent" player at the table in a 2/5 game just seems like such a giant case a FPS.

Do you really believe that it's necessary to merge 87s into the top end of your range here? If you have goals outside of making money and enjoying the game when you play poker, then nh. But if those are your goals, this play is absolutely [censored] ridiculous.

You were either on tilt or in the middle of pissing contest that you prob. lost.

As far as the hand goes, he may have folded but that's a terrible line to take with AA/KK/AK. You were saying something about representing those hands...
Old 07-17-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but 4-betting light, oop against the only "competent" player at the table in a 2/5 game just seems like such a giant case a FPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's been 3 betting me light and I really don't like flat calling this deep out of position. Don't you think I should have at least some bottom end of my range to defend against his 3 betting?

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the hand goes, he may have folded but that's a terrible line to take with AA/KK/AK. You were saying something about representing those hands...

[/ QUOTE ]

Which part of the line? 4 betting or checking the flop?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's been 3 betting me light and I really don't like flat calling this deep out of position. Don't you think I should have at least some bottom end of my range to defend against his 3 betting?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which part of the line? 4 betting or checking the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

the post flop part