Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Annoying thing about pros and their instructors

Why is it when one of the top players in the world is asked about what they are working on with their instructor they never give the public any details?

After Phil Mickelson hired Butch Harmon, the Golf Channel reporter asked him "what are you working on?" after the first round of the Byron Nelson and Phil replies, "I'd rather not get into any details about that".

Are these pros afraid they will look weak to their competitors?

I think it would make them a lot more popular with the rest of us hacks if they would admit that they are working on:
1. I'm coming over the top
2. I'm working on shortening my swing
3. etc.

It would make them seem more human.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Annoying thing about pros and their instructors

I don't think they consistently make mistakes that most of us would understand. Golfers also seem pretty egotistical, maybe they just don't like to aknowledge their weak points.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:13 AM

I think it's because they don't want people scrutinizing what they're working on while they're working on it during tournaments. Thinking about swing mechanics on the course in competition will really mess with your head and [censored] you up.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:54 AM

I really don't get it either, it's not like Tiger can "take advantage" of what Phil is not doing well. Phil hits his own shots.

It is true that these guys have much different problems than us though. I remember in high school, I golfed a lot at Hank Haney's Ranch in McKinney Texas. I was out there one day, and Chip Beck was working on the range with Hank and a another instructor. Chip would hit these perfect drives time and time again, each time shaking his head after hitting them. I was confused.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:35 AM

I think they don't want to open themselves to questions and criticism about what they're working on if they can keep it private. I'd bet small time tour guys would let you know, because they know not a lot of people care.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:31 PM

"Why is it when one of the top players in the world is asked about what they are working on with their instructor they never give the public any details?"

They do, but only if you buy the magazine they do business with. Money talks, these guys pay taxes too. Az taxes are high.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:50 PM

I'm surprised people really care. My father has a saying, "there's three things nobody cares about: how sick you are, how tired you are, and the minute details of your golf game". That's why I semi-cringe at any brag-related posts I make or try to keep that stuff short (no small task for me). I don't mind reading people's posts as long as they're interesting, but have you ever heard a pro in a post-round press conference? They'll tick off every. single. detail. of their round, almost none of which is remotely interesting. "And then on number four I thought the breeze was hurting from the left a little so I tried to carve in a knock-down eight and came out of it and pushed it into the sand." Zzzzzzzzz.

Dunno, it's like that other thread where people said they like watching pros at the range. Makes no sense to me. So maybe I'm in the minority and people really do care that Phil's elbow is flying or Ernie is taking it back flat or whatever.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
have you ever heard a pro in a post-round press conference? They'll tick off every. single. detail. of their round, almost none of which is remotely interesting. "And then on number four I thought the breeze was hurting from the left a little so I tried to carve in a knock-down eight and came out of it and pushed it into the sand." Zzzzzzzzz.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do that because that's what the reporters ask them! A typical post round interview will have a reporter asking the player to go through what clubs they hit and how they hit them for all the non-parred holes of the round. This is so that when they're writing up the story for the newspaper, they can make it seem like they were actually watching the tournament and not sitting around eating free Dove bars in the air conditioned media tent all day. For example:

"Hacker McSlacker got off to a good start today, hitting a 6 iron to 3 feet on the first hole for an easy birdie. He followed that up with two more birdies on the front, going out in 33. But he hit a rough patch starting on 14 when he shanked his 4 iron approach into the Wachovia corporate tent, knocking some giant hilarious novelty designer sunglasses off the face of the CEO's trophy wife. Fortunately, the botox remained intact. He went on to make a double bogey 6."
Old 05-03-2007, 12:50 PM

He would sound pretty weak saying, "I'm working on going from a B-cup, to an A-cup."

So he just stays quiet, I guess.