Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2006, 11:35 PM

Default Re: The Matching Up Thread I promised

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment but especially to Myrtle. Maybe I should save my stories for a book. Anyone think 2+2 would deviate from Poker? LOL

In my initial post I mentioned it would be difficult for me to not be able to matchup in most any sport or game. After more thought I stand by any games but have thought about a few sports in which I'd have no ghost of a chance. A few are Jai Lai, canoing, hockey and most of the Winter Olympic sports. On the other hand I think I could handicap most of the summer Olympic sports, even being the old fart I am now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

tolbiny asked about this: "Funny thing is just when we were about to adjust where they would have had a slight edge the stakehorse pulled up so I didn't have to give back a single barrel."

When you are gambling and feel there is future potential, it is often wise to allow an oponnent (especially one with a healthy stakehorse) to get a shot at at least one win before the match ends. This helps to both insure goodwill as well as future potential action. Yes this can backfire and instill confidence in a player who can then beat you with the same spot he had been losing with to you just a while earlier. It is like bluffing on the river at poker, sometimes you get called down and lose but it is worth it in the long run.

To thoses ends I would usually play at least one set when I wasn't sure I had the best of it after I was already several sets ahead. Often I would lose this set but it was never a bad investment. Not being a nit is important in the gambling world.

On the subject of not being a nit: Once I offered to play anyone in the world with the eight and the break on a bar table. Unfortunately Dave Matlock came to town the same weekend I had made this offer. I had beaten several name players for $1000 sets earlier in the weekend. Heck I even won a $1500 Joss poolcue from Jimmy King with this bet. Well at the time Dave M. was probably the best bar table player in the US (perhaps the world). I could have easily turned down the action and saved myself a dime but the "nit factor" would have been way too high, especially considering his backer didn't get along too well with me in the first place. So I took the action and as I was supposed to do, I lost. So much for the anyone in the world challenge and not knowing who was in town timing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] This still had +EV in the long run. Doing my best Sklansky imitation, "Do you see why?" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

More later,

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

....yup, I do see why.

How many more of these do you have?

Fleshed out and colored up, you already have two chapters.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2006, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jimbo,

More, more, more.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-20-2006, 12:16 AM

Jimbo,

Amazing stuff. I'd buy the book.
-James
Old 03-20-2006, 12:28 AM

This thread makes me want to start playing pool again. Thanks Jimbo.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:49 AM

Cool thread Jimbo. As someone said earlier these kind of stories do have an intrinsic appeal to poker players.

I have a question. How much time and effort did you have to spend to judge the ability of the opposition in order to make sure you had the proper weight? I'd guess you have a very good idea of your own ability and that of anyone you were backing. Having an idea of who you are playing is as important but the information would be harder to come by.

Did you go by word of mouth or would you scout the opposition? It seems as if it would be pretty time-consuming for a guy with 3 businesses to take care of.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got three good stories about geting weight when I could have been giving it I'll share sometime as well. One involves George Breedlove, Big John and Jeanette Lee.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately want to hear this story. Please don't make me beg. Thanks.

The Sucker
Old 03-20-2006, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jimbo,

Amazing stuff. I'd buy the book.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-20-2006, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I definately want to hear this story. Please don't make me beg. Thanks.

The Sucker

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. i want to hear all stories
Old 03-20-2006, 06:14 AM

Jimbo, your talk of not being a nit hits home to many I'm sure. The ups and downs of your career in the gambling life is something that can't be made up. You need to open up more.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment but especially to Myrtle. Maybe I should save my stories for a book. Anyone think 2+2 would deviate from Poker? LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

It would make a great book, and 2+2 would be crazy not to pick it up. Your coments and thoughts have a lot more to do with poker than most realize. How many great players do you think give waaay to much action to supossed nits? I'd buy your book the day it came out.