Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: The Fine Line Between FPS and Being a Robot

btw way too lazy to read the entire first post or any of the responses, but I did read the first few sentences and anyone who says that open raising QJs or A5s from the CO, especially the QJs part, is completely out of their minds and doesn't understand poker very well.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
edit: ugh, just read lacky's post in which he uses experience to say the opposite of what i did.

[/ QUOTE ]

i never played below 33's though, 33-55 could very well be a grey in-between area. also, my experience is from a structure and game conditions that no longer exist
Old 11-16-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw way too lazy to read the entire first post or any of the responses, but I did read the first few sentences and anyone who says that open raising QJs or A5s from the CO, especially the QJs part, is completely out of their minds and doesn't understand poker very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

curtains I think you're missing an important qualifier in there. Open-raising those hands from the CO - good or bad?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

curtains I think you're missing an important qualifier in there. Open-raising those hands from the CO - good or bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

OH Im a dummy. Good of course. I mean probably won't kill you completely if you fold, but it's really sort of crappy to fold IMO.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:31 AM

grunch:
I get what pudge is saying. Still disagree about the merits of raising A5s in most situations, as it seems to benefit from having a lot of callers rather than a few, though I wouldn't know as I've pretty much never raised that hand at t20 or t30 since I've gotten past the point where I sucked at STTs. Recently switching to cash for about 1/3 of my poker time has really gotten me to loosen up in LP in STTs, however, and the QJ hand I think is mostly auto raise for me now. I dunno if it is just me, but I see a world of difference between the two hands. Also, they were played at vastly different stakes. However, I'm afraid that I'm becoming something of a volume whore, and that I pass up small edges due to laziness, etc, that I won't be able to pass up as I move up further. Obv. any hand in a discussion should be treated as if you were playing only one table and we should all be thinking of an optimal line, as opposed to fold, its too marginal, etc... QJs sure seems to benefit from position a whole lot more than A5s with a pfr, as you can continuation bet that A when it hits the flop with QJs and what-- get KK that didn't reraise preflop to fold when an A flops? You're pretty much building up a pot with a crap hand with A5s, as yes you have position, but there isn't really a single flop you'd really like to hit and get called on, so you might as well open a suited connector where you could actually make top pair that could stand a flop call. You don't want to have to bluff out better aces when you flop one. If this doesn't make sense, I'm moderately hammered.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:29 AM

I agree that there is a big difference between QJs and A5s. I'd still probably raise both from the CO. But, in a cash game A5s gets a lot of value from allowing hands like 76s of the same suit come along for cheap.

I still open raise Axs hands, but I don't isolate with them or 3-bet in position with them.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that there is a big difference between QJs and A5s. I'd still probably raise both from the CO. But, in a cash game A5s gets a lot of value from allowing hands like 76s of the same suit come along for cheap.

I still open raise Axs hands, but I don't isolate with them or 3-bet in position with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big difference between 3 betting and open raising!!!
Old 11-17-2007, 01:41 PM

Good post pudge. In any type of poker you will find that those who take a dogmatic approach to what they believe won't improve.

Not to get to far away from the SNG part of this but Devin,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that mean you call with these hands a lot?
Old 11-17-2007, 02:09 PM

CheeseMoney,
I agree with a lot of what you said except the last point.
[ QUOTE ]
QJs sure seems to benefit from position a whole lot more than A5s with a pfr, as you can continuation bet that A when it hits the flop with QJs and what-- get KK that didn't reraise preflop to fold when an A flops? You're pretty much building up a pot with a crap hand with A5s, as yes you have position, but there isn't really a single flop you'd really like to hit and get called on, so you might as well open a suited connector where you could actually make top pair that could stand a flop call. You don't want to have to bluff out better aces when you flop one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Than don't bet with A5s check when you flop a pair. TP is almost always better than midpair unless people have really unbalanced range.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post pudge. In any type of poker you will find that those who take a dogmatic approach to what they believe won't improve.

Not to get to far away from the SNG part of this but Devin,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that mean you call with these hands a lot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.