Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-07-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: This Season of SNL

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SNL is terrible this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact is that if you don't like SNL (specifically this year and last) that's fine but it has nothing to do with SNL - you're just not a fan of sketch comedy. I've seen almost every show Second City Toronto has put on over the past 12 years and it is no different. Some of the skits are meh and others are perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been plenty of sketch comedy shows (though not live) that got it right week in and week out. The thing that made certain eras of SNL great was that they DID get it right consistently.

I haven't much SNL at all over the past 5 or so years, but I haven't seen much OMGLOL material.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:08 AM

The overall writing is bad unless its specific skits that appear to have a heavy amount of writing from Hader, Andy, etc.

The Bush impersonation guy is terrible.
I knew Hader when he lived in LA. nice guy.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:21 AM

Heder, Samberg, and Wiig are fantastic
Old 11-07-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing that made certain eras of SNL great was that they DID get it right consistently.

[/ QUOTE ]

But they didn't. This is a myth. Have you seen the season 1 DVD from the 70's? For all the great material there were some real ducks in there as well.

The best era for consistency was probably in the early 80's (83, 84? don't remember) when they brought in the pros - Billy Crystal, Martin Short, Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer et. al This "era" consisted of only one season with Billy Crystal being the only one who wanted to return.

I think when we look back at SNL - especially the Golden Years with Ackroyd, Belushi and Chase - it's easy to do so through rose colored glasses. At the time it was something that people had not ever seen on television and when they hit they hit big - but they had more than their fair share of duds.

Murphy/Piscopo; Carvey/Nealon/Myers; Sandler/Farley/Spade - all the same but without the advantage of being novel.

I love SNL and I'm guilty of being an apologist but even I recognize that perfection is nearly impossible to attain in sketch comedy - especially one that is produced on a weekly basis. Second City has a tough enough time doing it and they get to run the same show for several months.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I can't remember the last time they brought three players (in same year, I think) who were all so strong. In addition to Samberg they brought in two of his comedy troupe buddies as writers. The digital shorts are just an extension of what they were doing pre-SNL. You can find their old shorts on YouTube (at least you used to be able to).
Old 11-07-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The overall writing is bad unless its specific skits that appear to have a heavy amount of writing from Hader, Andy, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seth Myers as head writer is the definite weak link. He isn't as hungry, creative or edgy as the new crew. Personally I would hand the show over to Hader, Sudekis, Wiig, and Samberg - and live or die with the results. I think it would probably be great but if it failed you would certainly go out in a blaze of glory.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:42 AM

Wiig is the best new talent by far IMO. I've tried to watch the show lately but it still seems pretty terrible every time I turn it on. I don't agree about the cast being strong. I think it's been really weak for several years.

Dakota Fanning show is awesome. So is Penelope. Don't know if they're still doing those.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But they didn't. This is a myth. Have you seen the season 1 DVD from the 70's? For all the great material there were some real ducks in there as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...when did I ever talk about season 1?

[ QUOTE ]
I think when we look back at SNL - especially the Golden Years with Ackroyd, Belushi and Chase - it's easy to do so through rose colored glasses. At the time it was something that people had not ever seen on television and when they hit they hit big - but they had more than their fair share of duds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of that stuff is overrated, but I was too young for it when it was fresh. So I may be too harsh on stuff that may not have aged well.

[ QUOTE ]
Murphy/Piscopo; Carvey/Nealon/Myers; Sandler/Farley/Spade - all the same but without the advantage of being novel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those last two groupings were in the same era, IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
I love SNL and I'm guilty of being an apologist but even I recognize that perfection is nearly impossible to attain in sketch comedy - especially one that is produced on a weekly basis. Second City has a tough enough time doing it and they get to run the same show for several months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sketch shows that got it right almost all the time (IMO of course):

Mr. Show
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Chappelle Show

Chappelle Show is obviously different because all the sketches were taped, but whatevs.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:44 AM

Mikey,
All of those shows have a much easier task. Shorter seasons, shorter episodes, more time to create episodes.

There is also a massive selection bias when looking at older seasons. BTW I recently watched the first season of Mr. Show and has pretty underwhelmed, does it get better?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]