Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-02-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Three Stocks to Speculate with

Jim,

Questions:

Why was the downward move in SWHC so drastic?

If you were asked to offer someone up and down ranges prior to the earnings release, what would they have been?

What is the current and medium term ~6 mo. fair values for SWHC in your view?

Finally, how would you price a call vs. put with medium term expiries with a strike that exactly equals the current SWHC price? i.e. put = $?.??, call = $?.?? (in finance lingo this may be called put-call parity, not sure)

If you want to put some thought / answer any of these questions for LVS, that would be helpful as well.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:46 AM

bidu
goog
ma
vmw
Old 11-03-2007, 09:33 PM

i like smith and wesson as they are branching out into other products. and will use their name to break into new markets of sporting goods. most companies that do that prosper for awhile until it becomes clear whether their stuff holds up.
the other two i didnt recognize and wont look up symbols
Old 11-06-2007, 10:07 PM

LVS and SWHC both traded down today (as did GA) while the rest of the market, including the worst home builder stock known to man as well as nearly all of the financials except C looked like shooting stars.

as I wrote in my OP these were all specs but I hope you can hang in there John and not get stopped out. I was fortunate too sell my LVS at a profit but still have a long time for my options to work. I expected to hold onto my GA and SWHC for a while anyway and bought more GA today on the drop to $17.52.

On a side note I noticed many of the Chinese stocks acted very funky today. I assume it is the controversy in the Hong Kong trading market exchange causing these worries and fluctuations. This could either make them a good time to buy or a red flag, can't tell which it is yet. BIDU went hog wild, wish I had seen the dip but I was too busy getting busted out of a poker tournament today. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jimbo
Old 11-18-2007, 02:53 PM

Update:

LVS closed Fridy up $4.21 for the day and up nearly $9 per share from my buy at $110 or less.

SWHC closed Friday up 5cts for the day but still above the $11.00 buy suggestion.

GA has been a poor performer and may stay that way for a while longer. An earnings conference call is scheduled for Nov 20th at 8AM est. Their earnings so far in 2007 have more than doubled over 2006 total year earnings, good projections during this call may be the impetus needed to drive more investors to this stock. Last traded at $15.50 per share.

Jimbo
Old 11-19-2007, 03:30 PM

Hey awesome picks Jimbo, I went long on SWHC right after the drop too. Glad I was not totally out of line in my analysis. Good luck!

Any thoughts on the current state of ETFC? I'm in it for the long haul. Buy-out or busto!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey awesome picks Jimbo, I went long on SWHC right after the drop too. Glad I was not totally out of line in my analysis. Good luck!

Any thoughts on the current state of ETFC? I'm in it for the long haul. Buy-out or busto!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck with SWHC octaveshift, as far as ETFC that darn stock has burned me mildly twice so I swore off it forever. lol

Jimbo
Old 11-19-2007, 05:32 PM

good time to jump in on LVSAV Jan '08 calls now at 5.20??
Old 11-19-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good time to jump in on LVSAV Jan '08 calls now at 5.20??

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on your risk tolerance the Dec 125's are actually a better value right now. (By about 31 cents per option).

Jimbo
Old 11-19-2007, 05:49 PM

100% risk. LVSAV jan 08 calls ftw.