Check 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2007, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Pick the \"next gen\" console I should purchase

360 man.

The online play setup is fantastic.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:03 AM

As things currently stand, the 360 is a no brainer. It simply has better games, a whole lot more of them, its cheaper, many (perhaps the majority of) cross platform games run significantly better on the 360 than the PS3, etc. Kind of silly debating the future. It's not like buying a 360 (or PS3) right now precludes your later purchase of the other system. When those games you want on the PS3 come out, you can buy it then.

And like was mentioned, some of the games you're holding out for don't even make sense. The people who created Final Fantasy started their own development studio, Mist Walker, that's now working exclusively on the 360 (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and more to come). 'Final Fantasy' is now just Final Fantasy in name.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know you can buy outside of the established franchises once in a while. I think most people don't realize that everyone who made Final Fantasy good are off at another company now. I mean brands have a powerful effect on all of us, but just saying "I'm gonna ignore Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey because I've never heard those names before, I'm waitin' for my Final Fantasy" is a little sheepish.

And um, all three Metal Gears went to the Gamecube last cycle. Did I miss a press release where someone said MGS4 is an exclusive forever? I'd put the likelyhood of a 360 release at 1000 percent, even if it takes a couple months.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love how 360 owners downplay the next 12 months in which the ps3 is gunna come out with numerous must have games by saying " dont worry guys, we'll get all those games eventually "

the truth is the 360 is dying already in pretty much every country except the US.... give these next-gen consoles 2 years and well see the same trends we saw with the original x-box vs ps2 "battle"

[/ QUOTE ]

It's dying. Really didn't know that. Why on earth would I buy a PS3 now? Great games, nope. Blu Ray, kinda. Expensive, yes. 360 is just a must better package now. You can point out the PS3 games that will come out but who knows how good they will be. They should be good but if they still have the framerate issues, I wouldn't count on it.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:37 PM

PS3 is droppings its price, but it will be for a model that is not backwards compatible for old PS2 and PS1 games. Not sure if thats a deal breaker or not.

For me, I can keep waiting for PS3 to drop even more. If there is eventually a PS3 game I want to play, I would guess I can pick up the system and game for probably $350 total (read: a long time).

I don't give a [censored] about blu ray or HD DVD. Seems like an arm race for something if you ask me.

360 has better games, the Live component is awesome. The Arcade is reminiscent of what Wii is doing with their online stuff.

I don't know much about PS3, but I am pretty damn happy with my 360 thus far. Plus with MS expanding the warranty to cover a few of the annoying defects, things look good.

I use to have a PS2, but then I switched to XBOX and the only game I was disappointed to not play was Kingdom Hearts 2. Basically every game is now available on both systems, especially the really popular sports titles.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:36 PM

I'm in the same situation as the OP. One thing I haven't seen in this thread it the failure rates of the Xbox. The red ring of death. I've heard that it affects 1/3 of Xboxes. Is the PS3 more stable or does it have issues as well?
Old 10-21-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the same situation as the OP. One thing I haven't seen in this thread it the failure rates of the Xbox. The red ring of death. I've heard that it affects 1/3 of Xboxes. Is the PS3 more stable or does it have issues as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Before Daaaahawks tells you that 95% of 360's sold today will have Red Rings of Death before Tuesday, the important things to know are that newer systems are having this problem at a much lower rate, and this is the primary reason MS expanded the warranty.

I don't think PS3 has as many failure issues, but they're still certainly there to an extent. I would not let those issues affect my purchase decision too much, if at all, if I were in the market for a next-gen system right now.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:38 AM

I had a launch day unit that I had to return about 2 months ago (took a month to get a new one back.) If i had to do it again i would still go with a 360. The heating issues have been reduced, and a lot of ppl have had no problems.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Odds are your console won't fry. With the newer versions it's even more likely you'll never have a problem. If it does fry, you take 3-4 weeks to get it repaired completely free of charge. The PS3 has had a much lower failure rate, but is far from immune as more and more reports of their own version, the 'red light of death', are popping up. The rarity and simple solution even if you do fall 'victim' make this pretty much a nonissue.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:21 AM

which newer versions are seeing less of this? I bought one about 2.5 weeks ago.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
which newer versions are seeing less of this? I bought one about 2.5 weeks ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

All models with HDMI. So basically all of them except the old non-hdmi premium/core models.