Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Media Coverage of AP scanal: Good thing or bad thing

I'm a bit less concerned about the games drying up from too many fish getting paranoid and more concerned with further UIGEA type enforcement and crack-downs...particularly if some gung-ho Republican gets some more shoves from the Christian Coalition...stuff like that.

Although the general reputation of online-poker as a whole could definitely suffer a significant hit and that will naturally lead to fewer recreation-players/fish.

I don't think this is just something about 'bringing down' Absolute or whatever language you want to use.
The hit will be felt by Stars and FT as well since I suspect they will be likely to just be lumped-in with Absolute as "Illegal 3rd world internet-gambling sites" in simplistic and inaccurate media portrayals.

IOW - I don't think people will talk about how scummy Absolute is. I think they will talk about how scummy ALL of internet-gambling is.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:57 PM

Media coverage, if it is fair and well done, is never a bad thing imo. I don't believe in any sort of censorship in that light, and trying to hide that the AP thing happened seems silly.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:00 PM

How often is media-coverage of internet-gambling fair and well-done?

I'm not advocating hiding the info from the media or anything like that.

But in some threads I've seen some posters practically celebrating that this story is getting more and more publicity and also advocating contacting as many of the major media outlets as possible to get the word out there.
They seem to believe that such exposure would help solve this specific Absolute situation and they may be correct. But I believe it's possible that far more harm than good could be done by pushing this story on the public.

So no, I'm not advocating a cover-up or anything like that.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:01 PM

Mods please lock since 'new' thread about AP aren't allowed.

Not that I think these issues shouldn't be discussed, but apparently you aren't allowed to start new threads about it.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:02 PM

ADANTHARRR! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!
Old 10-18-2007, 07:04 PM

i remember a thing called uigea and people whining everywhere about how fish are going to disappear completely and whatnot. this just sounds like it.
maybe the next few months might become slightly tougher but after that this whole incident will be forgotten.
the upside might be that pokerrooms will be even more concerned to give an image of "absolute" honesty which might therefore recreate the trust in online poker.
this incident also adds an argument to the pro regulation side. as well as the "ban it altogether" side but as you see now and some very old fellows might have seen in the 1930s with regards to alcohol: you cant keep people from what they like/ are addicted to

[ QUOTE ]
It's unfortunate that this does give ammo to the "I told you so, let's ban online gambling!" crowd, but it's an even stronger case for regulation, IMO. I guess we'll find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what GW was trying to say is "no, more AP threads"

well, this one's decent, anyway, although it should probably be moved to the zoo or something

in fact, I'm a mod, so I'm going to do that!
Old 10-18-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a bit less concerned about the games drying up from too many fish getting paranoid and more concerned with further UIGEA type enforcement and crack-downs...particularly if some gung-ho Republican gets some more shoves from the Christian Coalition...stuff like that.

Although the general reputation of online-poker as a whole could definitely suffer a significant hit and that will naturally lead to fewer recreation-players/fish.

I don't think this is just something about 'bringing down' Absolute or whatever language you want to use.
The hit will be felt by Stars and FT as well since I suspect they will be likely to just be lumped-in with Absolute as "Illegal 3rd world internet-gambling sites" in simplistic and inaccurate media portrayals.

IOW - I don't think people will talk about how scummy Absolute is. I think they will talk about how scummy ALL of internet-gambling is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a similar response already in legislation forum, but I think that if we can try to "spin" this scandal as being a result of the shrinking marketplace due to UIGEA and u.s. gamblers being forced to play at less reputable sites, then it could be positive, or at least to help balance the negative aspects.

Whether this is actually true or a gross exageration has little to do with it. The anti-online-gambling establishment will certainly spin this their way, whether true or an exageration.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:05 PM

Bob,
I don't really have a good grasp of how big of a story this is to big media outlets. But if it gets real air time on CNN and Fox and gets a good page in the Times, etc, it's very important that people on our side get interviewed and say the right thing. Basically "There have been some really shady sites involved in online poker. Stars and FT are as reliable as possible. If online poker were regulated, we wouldn't have to worry about the shady sites."