FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: PoG's Move?
12...Bxg2 12 54.55%
12...Qb6 0 0%
12...0-0 5 22.73%
Results 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Fall is upon us: your golf plans?

I'm hoping this forum will survive the hopefully non-nuclear winter, what with so many regulars putting their clubs in storage. I am not among them - mid-October thru November generally sucks though, as courses are soon to be shutting down for overseeding, only to reopen with slower greens, more expensive rates, and cart path only conditions for awhile.

What are your golf plans this winter? Leading off with a demographic question that isn't really related but I'm curious. If you sense some mild overlapping in the last two questions just choose the one that is most accurate.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Fall is upon us: your golf plans?

Did something change in the last two years down there? I thought courses shut down in Sept and opened in early Oct at the latest.
Seems like if a course isn't open til Nov they're sure to lose out on tons of moniez.

Have you ever played 'Bear Creek' down in the Chandler area? It has a sick replay rate of like $7 or something. Might have changed but I used to hit that course up all the time for 36 holes in the winter.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:28 PM

Normally will shut it down during the winter just due to wanting to watch football on the weekends, but this year I want to play more. I live in the Sacramento area. We have year-round golf but you get your standard frost delays and obviously some rain.

Will not be able to get out much after work either with the shorter days.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:32 PM

Bitcho,

No, very few courses close down in September. In fact, they all do on Mondays for obvious reasons so I'm sure a few are going under the knife today, but I can recall playing courses deep into October that haven't shut down yet. And that's the best time to play them - still fairly cheap and the greens roll about as nice as they will all year as they are pared down and fast.

I am familiar with Bear Creek, never played it. I am lucky to have multiple friends with Troon Foursome passes and "ins" to some pretty sweet courses around town, so I generally stick to those tracks.

EDIT: link. I am a little bit wrong about the courses, way more are shutting down this week than I thought, but the one I live on (AZ Biltmore) and a muni I play at (Papago) tend to shut down pretty late relative to the others, and this year is no exception.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:20 PM

I plan on practicing (mainly short game) like hell this winter, although I say that every year. It just sucks to spend the first couple of months of spring trying to get back in the groove every year after not playing or practicing during the winter months. With that being said, I live in GA so I can't use the cold weather excuse too much.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:40 PM

Pole needs a "are you in the North or the South" option as well.

I'll be playing as long as my home course is open. Last year I played in December and January, but not in Feb. or most of March. Other than the cold and the leaves, the off season is a great time to play b/c it's not so crowded. 3 hours rounds FTW.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:58 PM

Weather permitting for the most part. This is the first year i've really taken golf seriously so i don't really know what most of the courses are doing. I'm fairly certain some stay open so i'll be aiming to play when i can.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:34 PM

I will be playing a lot. In fact, I'm going out now with GuyOnTilt to play 9 holes at 4 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:40 PM

I live in Detroit area. I usually give up on golf at the end of October and start playing again in April. But I hate the rustyness. So, im hoping that winter will be as mild as last winter when many were playing in Dec. and Jan.! Who knows, its 88 degrees today and its almost end of September. im hoping the weather stay mild. I dont mind playing in low 40s, just got to wear layers. Also am planning 2 winter golf trips to Ft. Lauderdale and Hilton head. So, hopefully i will be in good golf shape next spring!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2007, 05:47 PM

Golf is interesting in the winter here in Dallas. One can play almost everyday except for a few cold spells, but it really doesn't stay warm enough to overseed. Some courses try but they don't know what they are doing and the grass just doesn't grow in December/January. Dormant bermuda greens can get really slick with the dry northerly breezes. I'm just ready for it to cool off. It was [censored] 90 degrees yesterday with high humidity and no wind. Ugh.