Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Weird/funny coincidences in your life

I've had 3 relationships. all 3 girls have had the same phonetic last name, but different spelling.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:02 PM

This is probably weak as far as coincidences ago (certainly doesn't hold a candle to Noah), but it is kind of funny...

I was interviewing roommates for my apartment in Seattle. The apartment was a really sweet deal -- $750 for a very large two-bedroom apartment on Queen Anne hill overlooking the city. It could have easily rented for $2K but the owner kept the rent low for various reasons.

So a lot of people really want this apartment and I tell everyone I meet that I smoke pot occasionally. For most of the prospective roommates it was not a problem, and for those for whom it is a problem whatever. Then I interview a guy and we get along really really well. He is a professional who makes a lot of money, so I know I will never worry about him sticking me with rent. So because I decide I want him to take this place, I neglect to mention that I smoke pot. At that time I was not smoking much anyway, and I figure he'll bring it up.

So six months go by and by this point I'm really convinced that he doesn't smoke pot. I've been occasionally smoking secretly in my room, blowing the smoke out of the window. One day he brings his new girlfriend over and her first words to me are "So let me ask you, do you smoke pot?" I look at my roommate and his face is beet red and I can tell he is really angry at his girlfriend for asking me this question. I don't want to lie, and I just answer honestly that yes I do smoke occasionally. Then I see that his expression relaxes tremendously. His girlfriend says 'we smoke too, that's great' and then she goes to his room and pulls out a beautiful glass bong that is probably 3 feet tall. My roommate somehow convinced himself that I didn't smoke, and he didn't want to jeopardize the roommate relationship by bringing it up.

We got high on his BC bud every night for the next six months before I moved to Los Angeles.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had 3 relationships. all 3 girls have had the same phonetic last name, but different spelling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you post about that like a year and a half ago? Leigh, Lee, and Lei?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:29 PM

I moved into an apartment when I was 19 and did not know either of my two roommates. (I got in because I was friends with one of their girlfriends.) 3 or 4 months after moving in the subject of birthdays comes up with one of my roommates. I tell my usual birthday story about how my mom missed the men walking on the moon because she was delivering me. He laughs because he has the same birthday story. It turns out we were born within about 8 hours of each other. I tell him I am used to sharing my birthday because I have a fraternal twin. Turns out he is a fraternal twin as well. We ended up living together for several years.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:31 PM

Weird.

My best friend from college and I were born less than an hour apart.
On our birth-certificates it would say we were born 4 minutes apart...but we were actually born 56 minutes apart because it was in different time-zones.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:39 PM

favorites: bob,drew, kurt, noah
Old 08-02-2007, 11:39 PM

In the same vein as DD.

I moved around a lot as a kid, and ended up going to 3 different middle schools.

The girl I'm living with now not only went to the same middle school as me, we sat next to each other in many of our classes. We even both played French Horn. We had no idea until after we started dating.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:49 PM

When I was about 12 or 13 I liked ninjas and collected throwing stars. I used to throw them with my neighbor in LA, who is still a good friend of mine.

Last year I was driving to New Orleans with new friends, and one of them mentions that his uncle bought him nunchucks when he was 13. Now it's been 15 or 20 years since I've thought of my own long lost throwing star collection, but this reminds me of it, and I start telling my new friends about it and about my old neighbor.

About 20 minutes later I reach in my pocket to check my voicemail, and I see I have a new text message, about 15 minutes old. It's from my old neighbor, who I havn't spoken to in months. It says: "Hey dude whatever happened to your throwing stars?"
Old 08-02-2007, 11:50 PM

Can't remember if I posted this before. As all good coincidences this was during a europe backpacking trip.

Had just arrived in Budapest on the train from Prague. I rode the subway into the downtown where I was staying. Chatted with some other backpackers for the 5 minutes we were on the train, one was a girl from San Francisco. Anyway, we all get off on different stops "maybe see you around the city!"

3 days later during my last night in the city some random guys in my hostel take me out to a bar/club/art gallery (you'll know it if you've been to budapest). Lo and behold the girl is there so that's cool, but not really surprising since there were a ton of backpackers hanging out at the bar. Either way we hang out, it's my birthday I get drunk it's good times.

Next morning I race to the train, obviously never going to see any of the folks from the night before again. A week or so later I'm in the Florence train station struggling to find a way out of the godforsaken city. Standing in line sweating like crazy I get a tap on the shoulder, holy [censored] it's the san francisco girl! So we talk for a bit, she has to catch a train with this dutch kid she's been shacked up with for a week (lol). Anyway, that was cool - I add those 2 coincidences to my anecdote libray.

Another week later I'm in Barcelona, walking out of the subway looking for dinner. Just out of the corner of my vision is the same girl! I run up and say hi (forgot her name again), and we end up spending a crazy night together partying with argentinians in an illegal super secret legit after hours bar. We hook up obviously and I wake up next to her in an apartment somewhere in the gothic quarter.

3 chance encounters over 3 weeks in 3 different cities. Pretty cool eh!
Old 08-03-2007, 12:22 AM

Smiley - awesome.