Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Weird/funny coincidences in your life

I discovered two previosuly unknown (to my family, anyway) recordings on which my grandfather played in the mid-1920s, one of which was a song he wrote, when I accidentally misspelled his name in a google search.

Full story here.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
uh, that kinda sucks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I wasnt classing it under "funny".

I made it almost 40 years w/o ever breaking a bone
despite cycling to/from work every day in major UK cities.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cue KKF's picture story asap.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, yeah, kkf will win again.

we've done this thread at least twice in oot but i'll let it go cos its always good fun.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:12 PM

In the September 05 2+2 magazine there was an article by Ed Miller targetted at young poker players who had recently made huge amounts of money at high stakes limit HE. I had made 200k over that summer at 50/100 and 100/200 and was only 17, so it was very relevant to me.

One of the things he warned against in the article is having no protection against a disaster scenario, such as getting cancer. He mentioned how several friends who played had caught it and the problems it caused them. I remember remarking to friends about how ridiculous this was, as the chance of getting it as a teenager is extremely low.

I was diagnosed one month later.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:13 PM

Mine are usually travel-related as well. I remember faces and am pretty observant.

1) Was in Disney World (from Missouri) and saw a girl from my school getting onto a passenger train/trolley thing smack dab in the middle of DW. She was sort of popular and hot, so I was too much of a loser to say anything.

2) was vacationing in Port Aransas, TX (near Corpus Christi) Senior year of HS from Houston, TX. Out on balcony of hotel room and below me walks by this dude from my gym class. He looks up and gives this nonchalant wave and says "whats up man?" I was like "WTF...yeah...whats up?"

3) Just went to SF with gf earlier this month from Houston. Two homosexual males were in front of me at airport for an hour trying to find out where their plane was(their flight ended up getting cancelled, mine didnt, lol).

Cut to: We're in SF and walking by Union Square I see one of the guys puffing on a [censored] in Union Square. I nudge gf "there's that gay dude from the airport" "No way." "yeah." "That guy is wearing sunglasses and totally different clothes." "It's him"

Then cut to 2 days later we're leaving Alcatraz and the new boat is coming to drop off people, when lo and behold him and his partner walk right by us. I nudge her again "See there he is again, and taht's his partner (who looked completely similar to airport)" "OMG U R RIGHT ZOMG WHY R U OBSESSED WITH GAI DUDES WITH HUDGE BULGES ZOMG"
Old 08-02-2007, 05:18 PM

My brother was set up on a blind date with this this girl and started dating her. They decided to move in together after a year. During all kinds of documents processing, it turned out that our mother was very good friend with her mother 25 years ago in a different country that no longer exists. There were no contacts between them during that time. My mom started telling stories how when his baby-stroller broke, she would borrow the one from his now-wife's mother, how they shared same milk producer, and so on. The girl was sobbing "please tell me you're not my brother", etc.

I just rented a new apartment in Manhattan. First email from my new landlord revealed that her cousin is a coworker of mine who was kind enough to provide a letter of reference to me.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:49 PM

Mine was kind of like PHB's.

Me and my buddy traveled Europe for a month this summer. Towards the end we were going from Rome-->Barcelona. We went on a pub crawl while in Rome and met a lot of the other people on the crawl but that was basically the extent of it. Two days later we flew to Barcelona.

As we were getting on the plane we run into this Mexican kid who was with us on the pub crawl two nights prior. We start talking to him, and hes a big soccer fan. He tells us we should try to get tickets to the FC Barcelona-Espanyol game a few nights later. We agree that this is an excellent idea and say ciao at the airport.

The game is taking place on our 3rd night there and after buying a Messi (me) and Eto'o (him) jersey, we get on the subway to go over to the stadium. Of course as we get on who do we see sitting there, on the exact car, 2.5 hours before the game? Yeah, same kid.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:03 PM

Like 6 months ago I was walking into a Target and saw a really good looking woman. My mind was elsewhere, and I didn't intend to do it, but I guess I was kind of staring at her.

She catches my gaze, and says "I'm sorry, do I know you?" I took this to mean that she caught me staring and was calling me out on it.

I stammered a bit and then said "Oh, I'm sorry you look just like this girl Janelle I know." Thing is, I do know a girl Janelle, but she looks nothing like this girl. The only connection is that they were both smoking hot.

Her jaw then drops a little and she is like...."Umm what is Janelle's last name?"

I think its weird that she is quizzing me. Maybe she is trying to call my bluff. "Umm...Smith".

Her jaw then drops even more and says "Are you kidding me, that is my sister!!!"

Now I'm really confused, and part of me thinks she is [censored] with me since they look nothing alike. "Oh..maybe that is why I saw the resemblance."

Her-"Ummm well that would be pretty difficult, since I was adopted."

There was some ensuing awkwardness as she tried to determine if I was a psycho stalker and I tried to determine if she was [censored] with me.

When I got home, I hopped on facebook and sure enough, there was a pic of Janelle with this girl and the caption indicating it was her adopted sister (something like brother from another mother, but for girls). I had never seen this girl before, she had gone to college on the other side of the country, and hadn't visited her sister at school since I met her.

So basically, I randomly picked out someone from the probably 10,000 people whose names I have on recall, and it happened to be related to this girl, but there was no way I could have known that.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:29 PM

noah yours is awesome.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:50 PM

noah - that's really weird.

One of my good friends from grade-school was adopted.
He had a brother 4 or 5 years younger who wasn't adopted (parents learned the fun way that they really COULD have kids).

The two of them looked pretty damn similar including similarly curly hair.
They got comments ALL the time about how much they looked like each other.