Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Improving your speaking voice

For diction and articulation, have him go home every night and read something like the front page of the newspaper with a wine cork between his front teeth. That kind of forces people to use their lips properly.

As others of said, projection is more about breathing properly, and that usually results from nerves. It's always awkward when has to pause in the middle of a phrase (when there shouldn't be a pause) because they're out of breath. Slowing down will help alot with this.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:24 PM

There are two things that are likely to be happening here. The primary issue is as several people have mentioned, fear. Most of us get nervous when we have to speak publicly and it shows in any number of ways. Trying to deal with symptoms (mumbling, rapid speech, etc) isn't particularly useful because often the fear will just manifest itself in some other way. There are a number of techniques people use but I have found the most useful ones center around changing the speakers focus.

The second likely issue has to do with natural speaking habits. If you mumble or talk fast in everyday life you are likely to do the same (only heightened)in public.

Speech therapists and vocal coaches are more likely to help with the second problem than the first. If you can find a vocal coach who works with actors primarily they are more likely to be of help than one who tends to work with singers. I haven't been in the market in some time so I don't know what prices are like these days, but I do know that a lot if it depends on where you live.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:49 PM

Hey all, thought I'd chime in since I have some expertise in the area. I'm actually launching a membership site aimed at improving public speaking and presentation skills in the next week or so (there's some sample content already up on the site at www.SuccessfulCommunication.com).

Couple of things:

1. I wouldn't hire a voice coach or vocal coach as the mumbling and diction problems are more likely to be a result of his fear of public speaking (causing him to speak too quickly and slur his words) as opposed to a poor speaking voice.

2. The way to confront him about the problem is to videotape a few people in your office giving presentations (don't just isolate him) and have a critique session afterwards. Not only will this isolate a few areas for improvement, but it will also likely comfort him by seeing that he isn't as terrible a speaker as he thought he was. Even if he is atrocious, people universally think they are worse speakers than they actually are.

Drill Suggestion:
The drill I use with my clients to eliminate mumbling is to bite down on a pencil (not the tip or the eraser but the midsection) and carry on a conversation with me. If they want me to understand a word that they are seeing, they quickly realize that they have to over-enunciate which trains their lips in a particular way so that they avoid mumbling in the future. It's a drill that is astonishingly effective, but it's also lighthearted so you can suggest he try it without feeling awkward.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be glad to help.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The second likely issue has to do with natural speaking habits. If you mumble or talk fast in everyday life you are likely to do the same (only heightened)in public.

Speech therapists and vocal coaches are more likely to help with the second problem than the first. If you can find a vocal coach who works with actors primarily they are more likely to be of help than one who tends to work with singers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Skooch. It's definitely the second thing. Even casual speech one-on-one can be difficult to make out.

As far as nerves, it cannot be ruled out, but he seems comfortable enough meeting new people, working himself in socially, etc.

Tupacia, knowing that, do you think vocal coach is appropriate?

I like the pencil exercise. It sounds similar to what James Boston suggested with a wine cork.

What I really like about both of them is that it should make it all more self-conscious. If he starts to think about it and just slows down he should be much better off.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He definitely knows it's an issue.

What I am looking for now is a reasonable course of action.

Phat Mack, have you had experience with voice coaches? Any idea on rates? Found something on craigslist, but no rates specified and I am interested in what is reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never been to one, but had a friend who was a "low talker" who did. The results were remarkable.

I live in a music town, and there are lots of voice coaches for singers etc. My friend saw an ad in a local entertainment weekly and signed up. Rates were relatively cheap, maybe $30 a lesson--maybe less.

Graigslist might be a good place to start if you asked about experience, references etc.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:20 PM

Stevie,

Given that added info, a voice coach does sound like it could be helpful.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:28 PM

Thanks, guys.

Craigslist is where I found the source mentioned earlier. I emailed for a rate quote.

If we can't secure company funding for a voice coach, are any of the self study books with CDs worth a go?
Old 07-26-2007, 04:44 PM

Stevie,

I've done some media training, and the biggest impact on me was when they videotaped me. As Al said, the biggest thing I noticed that wasn't apparent otherwise was how fast I was going.

Lots of people are big fans of Toastmasters, but I don't know much about them.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:58 PM

El D,

What is media training? I work in media and I can't say that I'm familiar with it.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:28 PM

James,

I think El D is referring to receiving training for appearing in interviews, TV and radio segments, and handling press conferences. It's like public speaking training specific to media outlets.