Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 09:53 PM

Default 85s BB

It's been a down, up and down session for yours truly. My image is probably mixed. I've snapped off some bluffs with marginal hands, but I've missed some draws in big pots and I've been drawn out on a few times. SB is the only decent player here. Button is weak/tight.

10/20 LHE (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds.

River: (10.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 05-21-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: 85s BB

When a weak-tight player raises preflop, bets the flop into 3 people and bets the turn against two people, your fold equity is exactly zero. Even if the SB folded you shouldnt make this play in this spot, with the SB calling your check/raise is even worse.

Also, your river bet was really bad. You should be check/folding in this spot becuz its all over.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When a weak-tight player raises preflop, bets the flop into 3 people and bets the turn against two people, your fold equity is exactly zero. Even if the SB folded you shouldnt make this play in this spot, with the SB calling your check/raise is even worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the definition of weak tight I guess but I don't think it's impossible that a TAG with a 32ish WtSD (someone I'd say is weak tight) bet/folds a J when you raise in a protected pot. It's not like this bluff costs much as we have about 32% equity.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:28 PM

Yes, I think this is right. On the turn, I thought I was doing what I could to win the pot without hitting big on the river. The river was a crying bet. After the hand, I felt I had overplayed both streets; as you say, w/t is not going anywhere after the flop play.

Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:25 AM

Why not CR this flop? Your equity is good at this point and getting it HU against the PFR could be a coup.

I know this was your thinking on the turn, but by the turn the odds of SB peeling have gone down significantly and you need to pick up more outs to even be able to try it.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:09 AM

It's a good point. I considered it but didn't feel it was likely to work. May have been wrong.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:58 AM

I think the turn c/r is fine but you should give up on the river.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not CR this flop? Your equity is good at this point and getting it HU against the PFR could be a coup.

I know this was your thinking on the turn, but by the turn the odds of SB peeling have gone down significantly and you need to pick up more outs to even be able to try it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once the SB calls the flop I dont see the point in check/raising the flop in this situation.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:13 AM

I'm guessing the SB never folds here, but I could see Button folding occasionally. So we're hoping to get heads up with SB so we can bluff out his bigger draw on the river? It's not really costing much, we have almost 1/3 equity and button probably needs a set to 3 bet, so even if it works a fraction of the time it seems worth it.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SB is the only decent player here. Button is weak/tight

[/ QUOTE ]
A weak-tight player has raised preflop and bet the flop. A decent player has just called this flop bet with two live players behind him. You need to be careful here. Zero credit for checkraising the flop when you may be drawing dead.

If you want to pick the pot up on the turn the standout play is to bet. You aren't risking much and if Button has overcards he will be caught in a bad spot. The checkraise bluff is a nonstarter because Button will take the free card in the 3-way pot with almost any hand that you could successfully bluff. Once Button bets the turn you need to accept that he has something and you can only win by improving.

If your turn bet leaves you headsup with SB, don't forget to bet the river unimproved. 7-1 is very good odds against a potential busted flush draw.

Your actual river bet is a waste of money. No better hand will fold and few worse hands will call. Your best option is to checkfold expecting a free showdown from a hand such as A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].