Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 05-15-2007, 06:51 AM

Default SCARY Legislation

Crazy IP Legislation

Reading this this morning, I was literally chilled. It's like it comes straight from the mouth of the recording industry, almost. Shockingly, the proposed legislation will attempt to make "attempted" copyright infrigement criminal and punishable with heavy fines, with a maximum of a LIFE sentence if fully carried out. Indeed, the law comes with other great police incentives like endowing them with the power of asset forfeiture of any equipment used to violate that copyright. Oh, and the best part? After seizing imported or exported items that violate these new copyright rules, Homeland Security would be required to alert the RIAA.

Maybe Canis IS right.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:57 AM

Default Re: SCARY Legislation

[ QUOTE ]
Crazy IP Legislation

Reading this this morning, I was literally chilled. It's like it comes straight from the mouth of the recording industry, almost. Shockingly, the proposed legislation will attempt to make "attempted" copyright infrigement criminal and punishable with heavy fines, with a maximum of a LIFE sentence if fully carried out. Indeed, the law comes with other great police incentives like endowing them with the power of asset forfeiture of any equipment used to violate that copyright. Oh, and the best part? After seizing imported or exported items that violate these new copyright rules, Homeland Security would be required to alert the RIAA.

Maybe Canis IS right.

If this get's passes then I retract everything I said in the Facist thread.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:07 AM

This law may or may not be excessive, but could you explain why you find it "chilling"?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:30 AM

Although on the plus side [censored] like this is pretty much the only thing that'll wake up the apathetic (but music copying) teenager to the scariness of the state and maybe we'll see a sea change.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:47 PM

I'm not an expert but isn't there something like "cruel and unusual punishment"?
The chilling part is the excessiveness and especially the part about attempted infridgement.
But I guess it could be worse. Next step is "it is now a crime to think about IP infridgement"
Old 05-15-2007, 01:04 PM

Relax guys, this is DOA in Congress. The Digital Millenium Copyright Act that Congress passed is pretty tough already. Combine this with this not being a priority for the Dems and normal partisan bickering and Gonzalez has no shot.

Also, the provision for a life sentence only applies if someone dies as a result. I dunno why normal manslaughter laws wouldn't apply, but whatever.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Crazy IP Legislation

Maybe Canis IS right.

If this get's passes then I retract everything I said in the Facist thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, don't retract, stay the course! Keep fighting for freedom!
Old 05-15-2007, 05:19 PM

The idea of any punishment other than monetary damages for IP infringement is chilling. Especially when there are alternatives for protecting copyrights like Microsoft is doing with its authentication--if you want to upgrade, you concent to a verification check. If they detect a pirated copy, they simply offer to sell you a license, which you can decline and go about your business. No lawsuits, no guns, essentially no RIAA anti-consumer tactics.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the provision for a life sentence only applies if someone dies as a result. I dunno why normal manslaughter laws wouldn't apply, but whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]
How could anyone die as a result of piracy of copyrighted material?

edit- I kant spel.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How could anyone die as a result of piracy of copyrighted material?

[/ QUOTE ]
The example cited by the DOJ in the article is hospital equipment with buggy, pirated software. But since that is mind blowingly retarded, I suspect Gonzalez is pitching that so people like Constantine would say "ZOMG! life sentence for piracy!!" and everyone else would be extra careful to not download music to avoid dying in prison.

But yeah, prison time for pirating music for personal use is extreme.