Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Things to do in Vancouver

tuco, that has some serious potential. all, good work thus far.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:43 AM

What tourneys are you entering?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you like Indian food, the best in town (and best i've ever had anywhere) is at 11th and Granville. Vig's. Order the lamb popsicle sticks.

Get there early. They don't take reservations and there is always a line.

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call. I forgot about Vig's... it's unreal.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:30 PM

Somethings I haven't seen mentioned (i might have missed it though...)

Granville island, Kits beach, Shabusen restaurant (all you can eat sushi and korean bbq...mmm), umm...plush if you're into clubbing probably. Heading up to a local mountain was suggested, and I'll reiterate it. If you're into hiking, do the grouse grind (or you can gondola up...but where's the fun in that?)
Old 05-08-2007, 04:58 PM

Can't wait for Passport Canada to hurry up so I can finally move to Vancouver.

Also, since I am moving there, which area would you guys recommend for actually living in? I want to be close to the scene but I remember there were areas that people warned to stay away from.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:10 PM

if I could afford it, I would stay in Kitsilano. Hands down it's the best part of Vancouver imo (especially if you're fairly young). Yale Town is also a nice area, but kits is pretty much my dream location :P
Old 05-08-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if I could afford it, I would stay in Kitsilano. Hands down it's the best part of Vancouver imo (especially if you're fairly young). Yale Town is also a nice area, but kits is pretty much my dream location :P

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. While kit's is beautiful, I don't think it's nearly the best place to live in Vancouver... especially if you're young. I lived there for a long time, but if you're young I would suggest: Yaletown, Mt. Pleasant (my choice), and parts of GasTown are coming along nicely as well.... although lots of it is a tourist trap. The West End is good, but you're always downtown then and it can get a little much. I personally like the area around Commercial Drive, but I understand it wouldn't be for everybody.

Truthfully, Vancouver is an amazingly safe city. Even the "bad parts" like the Downtown East Side are so safe when compared to other major cities, its laughable the kind of press it gets. Yes, there are a huge amount of drug addicts in the area, but when it comes to personal safety, I feel no stress or anything like that walking down there by myself in the middle of the night. Some parts of the suburbs are way, way worse.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:51 AM

Cancuk,

I entirely agree with your comments on Vancouver neighbourhoods. I guess it just depends on personal preference. I now live in Strathcona (downtown eastside) and love it.

As for restaurants, I'll second any of the Guu restaurants, and I'll add:

Phnom Penh (Cambodian/Vietnamese Food)
Chinatown (one of the few places I'd recommend in Chinatown)
244 E Georgia St, Vancouver
Tel: 604 682-5777
- Try the butter beef, garlic lemon sqid, Cambodian style beef meat ball soup...it's all good.

Dim Sum
-In downtown Vancouver, my choice would probably be Kirin.
102-1166 Alberni Street (604) 682-8833

If you have the time, here is a great egullet thread on Chinese and Dim Sum in Vancouver/Richmond:
http://tinyurl.com/39me84
Old 05-09-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cancuk,

I entirely agree with your comments on Vancouver neighbourhoods. I guess it just depends on personal preference. I now live in Strathcona (downtown eastside) and love it.

As for restaurants, I'll second any of the Guu restaurants, and I'll add:

Phnom Penh (Cambodian/Vietnamese Food)
Chinatown (one of the few places I'd recommend in Chinatown)
244 E Georgia St, Vancouver
Tel: 604 682-5777
- Try the butter beef, garlic lemon sqid, Cambodian style beef meat ball soup...it's all good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phnom Penh is one of my all time favourite cheap eats. I just ate their a couple of days ago. Sooo good. I totally second your opinion.. especially the butter beef. But I don't think PP is a place that a visitor to Vancouver would want to go. It's more of a hole in the wall place. If we were talking about these kind of places as well, I would add:

House of Dosa's on Kingsway and Clark.
East is East in Kit's
Hun's
Old 05-09-2007, 06:34 AM

Granville Island is a must.
its perfect date destination. go to the food market, get some yummy take out food and go to the dock area and take in some of the performances and the nice scenery.
then take a walk to some of the interesting shops in the area, then walk through the park area.

about the dangers of the main and hastings area: this place imo is not really dangerous at all to outsiders.
its sad seeing the people down here, but they wont really mess with you if you're just passing through. just ignore people if they try to talk to you down there. nothing good will ever come out of it.
places to be careful are surrey central skytrain, and some of the stations in S.Burnaby.
there have been many assaults recorded there lately.

I live on the fringes of the downtown core on seymour st. Its a good area because its so central to everything, and you wont get stuck in traffic trying to drive somewhere like you would living farther downtown.
commercial is another great area, as its less then 10 minutes from downtown by train, and the rent is pretty cheap.
N.Burnaby is nice too if you want to live in the suburbs.
very safe area, and very central to everything with lots of parks and great shops.