FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Pre-Nup: Terrible Idea?

[ QUOTE ]
dont u ever listen to chris rock?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-23-2007, 04:19 PM

Just marry an heiress and do not sign anything.

edit -- If neither of you is bringing much in way of assets into the union, then it is really a non-issue.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just marry an heiress and do not sign anything.

edit -- If neither of you is bringing much in way of assets into the union, then it is really a non-issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. Again I repeat. Its NOT what you are bringing into the marriage.

Case in example:
Guy going to law school, broke ass and in debt.
Girl works at a middle level management in a company making 60000 a year.

Should you prenup or not.

I would hope the answer is yes. Even though you are bringing nothing currently in the union, in 10 years you would be making FAR MORE money than her.

Prenup protects what you "acquire" during the course of the union and not what you brought into it.

---------------
Disclaimer: Thats my understanding of prenup and divorce laws though I am no lawyer. Please correct me if i am wrong.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:36 PM

iamb,

My understanding is that what is acquired during the union is (and should be) split. It's the pre-marital assets that are protected. State laws do play a major role here.

But I could be wrong.

Oh and your insurance example is simply awful.

J
Old 04-23-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont believe a car is an asset.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your Honor, as evidenced by the testimony of my expert witness Mr. Runyonave, cars are not assets. (Runyonave Depo, p.1) My client Larry Lemon owns nothing outside of his many dealerships; therefore he will be unable to provide any spousal support.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:11 PM

Anything you own is an asset. It may not be worth much but it is still an asset.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:20 PM

Even worse is having a car with a hefty balance due, losing it in the divorce and being saddled with all the remaining payments. It may no longer be an asset for you but it is an asset to your ex wifes new boyfriend.

Jimbo
Old 04-23-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly think that if you are seriously considering a pre-nup, you should seriously question whether you should be getting married.

I realise that around 50% of marriages will end in divorce. Many of these people probably got married for the wrong reasons (societal pressures, shortsightedness, etc). It's a pretty massive commitment that shouldnt be taken lightly.

If your getting married for other reasons (for a green card, or just a big party, etc) then the other party should be understanding of the need for a pre-nup.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't personally have one, and i actually don't wish I did, but i think they're a good idea for any couple where one has much more money than the other going into the marriage. Romance is great and all, but at some point realism and maturity have to set in. Most people at least know someone close to them who has had to deal with divorce. It is a pretty awful experience. The pre-nup eliminates a lot of this pain, if God forbid it were to happen.

I don't think it means you don't love someone if you suggest a pre-nup. It shows a sense of realism and an awareness that sometimes in life things don't work out. If your spouse-to-be can't handle this, then she may not be for you.

If i were about to marry some heiress to a fortune worth hundreds of millions, I would EXPECT to sign a pre-nup. It's part of life.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does OOT feel about pre-nups? If you really trust a girl, is it below the belt to ask for one? I don't have a personal situation now, but I'd love to hear from some people who have experience in this sort of thing.

Let's hear it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not asking.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does OOT feel about pre-nups? If you really trust a girl, is it below the belt to ask for one? I don't have a personal situation now, but I'd love to hear from some people who have experience in this sort of thing.

Let's hear it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I insist on them before every marriage.