Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Pre-Nup: Terrible Idea?

[ QUOTE ]
I realise that around 50% of marriages will end in divorce. Many of these people probably got married for the wrong reasons

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you consider to be the right reasons?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly think that if you are seriously considering a pre-nup, you should seriously question whether you should be getting married.

I realise that around 50% of marriages will end in divorce. Many of these people probably got married for the wrong reasons (societal pressures, shortsightedness, etc). It's a pretty massive commitment that shouldnt be taken lightly.

If your getting married for other reasons (for a green card, or just a big party, etc) then the other party should be understanding of the need for a pre-nup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have insurance when you drive your vehicle? I assume you do.

Does this mean that because you have insurance that your going to go out and drive into a wall? Of course not.

Prenups are always a good thing, no matter how much your worth.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:41 AM

Prenup's protects both party's. Always get them. I see them like insurance. I wish states would make that part of getting a marriage license
Old 04-23-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Divorce Laws favor.....

Divorce laws favor women.....and since 50% of married couples get divorced you need to protect yourself.

If you have money you are a FOOL not to get a prenup. Donald Trump has stated his approval of prenups many times. I'm sure a google search can show you his exact words. An acquaintance of mine was a wealthy farmer. He asked he fiance if she would agree to a pre-nup. She bitch about it constantly referring to it as "the contract" but she signed it.....

Remember....only the very poor and the very rich can afford a divorce.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly think that if you are seriously considering a pre-nup, you should seriously question whether you should be getting married.

I realise that around 50% of marriages will end in divorce. Many of these people probably got married for the wrong reasons (societal pressures, shortsightedness , etc). It's a pretty massive commitment that shouldnt be taken lightly .

[/ QUOTE ]
Um, you're taking marriage seriously if you care enough about your partner to get a prenup. Prenups are not about ME ME ME, it is about clarifying assets and making agreements that are in the best interests of both parties. If one person is insanely rich, then prenups protect the sanctity of the marriage (ie. making sure they are marrying for the right reasons), and eliminating the potentially wacky financial incentives brought on by divorce courts.

Which is more shortsighted: making rudimentary preparations in case of divorce, or ignoring the possibility?

NB. I'm about to get married. My fiancee and I have talked about a prenup, but we probably wont get one. We dont have many assets. We may reconsider, since every financial advisor I have ever met recommends a prenup. I think it's stupid to criticize the benefit of prenups, and it may provide a societal benefit to make them mandatory for all marriages (they are a lot cheaper than divorce proceedings tend to be).
Old 04-23-2007, 11:16 AM

i wouldnt get married in the usa without a prenup
Old 04-23-2007, 11:19 AM

If the girl I'm going to marry has a roughly equivalent net worth, I probably wouldn't bother.

If I have considerably more, I'd absolutely get one. There are a million factors that could lead to divorce. One needs only to look at the > 50% divorce rate to see this.

If she has much more than me, I wouldn't mention a prenup, but would sign one if she asked [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Z
Old 04-23-2007, 11:21 AM

x = your appearance on a 10 scale
y = her appearance on a 10 scale

if x + 2 < y, go ahead and ask for the pre-nup. She'll dump you immediately, but you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

p.s. if your net worth is more than 100K, then do it anyway, no matter what y is.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i wouldnt get married in the usa with or without a prenup

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, I'm a cynic
Old 04-23-2007, 11:35 AM

It depends on the kind of prenup you want. If you're considering a Donald Trump, you-might-be-a-golddigger-so-you-must-sign-this-document-to-marry-me prenup, it's a bad idea no matter what. If you're being realistic and want to sit down with your fiancee to figure out what's fair and set out an agreement to avoid ugly litigation if the worst happens, then it's always a good idea.