Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 10:48 PM

Default $1 UB MTT - BB, barely in the money, 2nd pair on the river

I don't know much about MTTs, so this might be noobish. I checked a blah hand from the BB and was planning to check/fold after the flop, but once I caught my K on the river, I wasn't sure if should stab at it or not. I'm thinking not as only better hands would call me, but at the same time my stack is pretty desperate.

1000/2000 +200 ante

CO with 4125.
Button with 19030.
SB with 35030.
Hero with 12335.
UTG with 5415.
UTG+1 with 39160.
MP1 with 26370.
MP2 with 13510.
CO+1 with 44000.

SB posts the small blind of 1000.
Hero posts the big blind of 2000.

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Pre-flop:

UTG folds. UTG+1 folds. MP1 folds.
MP2 folds. CO+1 folds. CO
folds. Button calls. SB folds. Hero
checks.

Flop (board: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]):

Hero checks. Button checks.

Turn (board: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]):

River (board: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]):

Old 03-05-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Re: $1 UB MTT - BB, barely in the money, 2nd pair on the river

Your concern with a value bet here is that if he comes over the top of you, then you're really stuck. Still, I think a value bet will work here if he has any pair (I'm not giving him credit for an ace because he would have bet). Your kicker isn't great, but you're still beating a ridiculous amount of any range he checked through and would overcall.

Unless you have a compelling reason to not want to give him a chance to raise you, I'm making a bet here thinking if I get called I'm good.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Re: $1 UB MTT - BB, barely in the money, 2nd pair on the river

[ QUOTE ]
Your concern with a value bet here is that if he comes over the top of you, then you're really stuck. Still, I think a value bet will work here if he has any pair (I'm not giving him credit for an ace because he would have bet). Your kicker isn't great, but you're still beating a ridiculous amount of any range he checked through and would overcall.

Unless you have a compelling reason to not want to give him a chance to raise you, I'm making a bet here thinking if I get called I'm good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta agree, bet and hope he hit something non-ace and is taking you for a river steal although i'm probably dumping it if I'm reraised.