Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Time to write off public education?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As we all know, the US public school system is, by and large, a disgrace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to 45 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you mean 52 years and 9 months ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was dating the decline to the change in educational philosophy that occured starting in the late 60s. I do have a frame of reference here, even though I was young. Radical change was evident in the very early 70s.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to what?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was dating the decline to the change in educational philosophy that occured starting in the late 60s. I do have a frame of reference here, even though I was young. Radical change was evident in the very early 70s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but by 'radical change in educational philosophy', you mean something like "when they let the dark-skinned children start going to school with white children", right?

And by 'evident in the early 70s', I assume that's just code for "when they started busing in the dark-skinned children from the inner cities to where the white people live".

Just want to make sure I'm not off the mark here.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to what?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but by 'radical change in educational philosophy', you mean something like "when they let the dark-skinned children start going to school with white children", right?

And by 'evident in the early 70s', I assume that's just code for "when they started busing in the dark-skinned children from the inner cities to where the white people live".

[/ QUOTE ]

You've spent most of your posting history off the mark. Why do you think it's different today?
Old 02-15-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to what?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So many public school apologists are quick to jump to the 'racism' ad hominem in defense of attacks on their cherished institution. In fact, it's so common and laughable that is' a caricature. There's a well-worn joke that goes "what is the definition of a racist? Someone who is winning an argument against a liberal".

Because obviously, if someone is unhappy with the public school institution as it stands then the only explanation can be that they are racist.

It is disappointing to see you drop to that level. You are usually quite cogent and reasonable.

natedogg
Old 02-15-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to what?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So many public school apologists are quick to jump to the 'racism' ad hominem in defense of attacks on their cherished institution. In fact, it's so common and laughable that is' a caricature. There's a well-worn joke that goes "what is the definition of a racist? Someone who is winning an argument against a liberal".

Because obviously, if someone is unhappy with the public school institution as it stands then the only explanation can be that they are racist.

It is disappointing to see you drop to that level. You are usually quite cogent and reasonable.

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

According to HeavilyArmed, public schools were fine, up until forty to fifty years ago. And by some strange coincidence, this is also about the time public schools were desegregated. What do you think he's getting at?

Did I call bobman a racist for attacking public schools? Do I call the ACists racists for attacking public schools? Are public schools really all that 'cherished' to me? I don't think I've done any of that, and I'm more than happy to concede that the American public school system has alot of failings. Yet, when someone claims public schools were fine up until 45 years ago, alarm bells go off in my head that prompt me to think "wait, what the [censored] happened about 45 years ago that was such a drastic change in public schools?" Given that we're talking about HeavilyArmed here, I'm pretty sure I know what he's hinting at.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to what?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

According to HeavilyArmed, public schools were fine, up until forty to fifty years ago. And by some strange coincidence, this is also about the time public schools were desegregated. What do you think he's getting at?

Did I call bobman a racist for attacking public schools? Do I call the ACists racists for attacking public schools? Are public schools really all that 'cherished' to me? I don't think I've done any of that, and I'm more than happy to concede that the American public school system has alot of failings. Yet, when someone claims public schools were fine up until 45 years ago, alarm bells go off in my head that prompt me to think "wait, what the [censored] happened about 45 years ago that was such a drastic change in public schools?" Given that we're talking about HeavilyArmed here, I'm pretty sure I know what he's hinting at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Proof positive you don't know jack [censored].
Old 02-15-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Identify what is the difference between these two systems and you probably have your solution for how to make k-12 better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you suggesting regular keggers for elementary school kids?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say you should wait until at least junior high before sponsoring student keggers.

natedogg
Old 02-15-2007, 02:23 PM

DVaut,

I'm not sure that you can jump to the conclusion that HA is being racist. There were a lot of societal changes taking place during the 60's in the liberal direction, not just integration. As a Conservative, I think its natural that HA would dislike any number of trends that would impact on education.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a well-worn joke that goes "what is the definition of a racist? Someone who is winning an argument against a liberal".

[/ QUOTE ]

The entirety of his argument was "Compared to 45 years ago," and you consider this winning the argument. There was a bold statement made in the original post, a statement that wasn't backed up in any way whatsoever, and because you happen to agree with the statement then, obviously, he was "winning" the argument.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you can answer the question: what is fundamentally different about public education now (or 20 years ago) that makes it a disgrace compared to public education 45 years ago? My guess is that you would disagree with the assertion by HeavilyArmed that public education was not a disgrace 45 years ago, but I'm willing to hear you out on this one.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Proof positive you don't know jack [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't deny that, but I don't think you need to be the sharpest knife if the drawer to know that "schools became disgraceful about 45 years ago, and it became especially evident in the early 70s" is nothing more than a thinly veiled, 'wink wink nod nod' attempt to assign the failures of American public schools to the movement to integrate them.