Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Ask Misfire anything about the LSAT/Law School Admissions

[ QUOTE ]
What's your GPA you don't mind my asking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 02-14-2007, 09:35 PM

Ok, got an interview with KAPLAN for March 8. What do they pay approximately? Anything else about them I should know?
Old 02-14-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Tulsa (lol)

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, I lived there all my life til school, seriously considered doing ug there but it was far too expensive for the return... It actually does have a great reputation around here, don't know how their law school is ranked so terribly...

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome! I was born and raised in Tulsa too. (Go Redskins!)

Nobody outside Oklahoma has heard of TU, so their law school can't be terribly selective. The USNews rankings are very heavily weighted towards LSAT/GPA, however, so Tulsa ends up way at the bottom with Cooley.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, unless you really really really want to go to stanford (and believe me, I know how that feels, it was my ED for Undergrad) I would easily go to one of the schools you got in. Theres really no difference between 1-10, except for geographical location. If you wanna be in CA, USC/Berkely would be fine. Everyone learns the same stuff at every law school, especialy the first half of law school.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that, but the average Joe couldn't tell you where Berkeley is. Harvard, Yale, and Stanford I think do stand out a bit from the rest. My reasons for Stanford are that it's in CA, it's ranked high, and they have a Copyright and Fair Use center.

[ QUOTE ]
The difference between 1-10 is less than penis waving ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of use need all the help we can get. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much all those people get offered teh same jobs, for you the interview/work experiance (and I think you're vastly ahead of most of your peers in work experiance, from your posts) will be the deciding factors. If a harvard guy and a Berkely guy get interviewed at the same place, I really doubt the harvard guy has any real edge, and I think your work experiance would far outweigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right for the most part. If my goal was only to be an attorney, have secure income, and live comfortably, I could go to Baylor almost for free, or Notre Dame for about half the cost. Better schools mean more options, though. If I want to teach or become a judge or something like that, rank, even within the top 10, means a lot more. If I'm gonna pay $8059830853085, I'm gonna do it at the best place I can get in.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, got an interview with KAPLAN for March 8. What do they pay approximately?

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats. What was your score IYDMMA?

I don't know what Kaplan pays. TPR pay depends on the office, usually 20-30/hr. Some of the mom-and-pop companies pay more but don't run as many classes.

[ QUOTE ]
Anything else about them I should know?

[/ QUOTE ]
Just be enthusiastic. As long as you can speak infront of people you'll be fine.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Tulsa (lol)

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, I lived there all my life til school, seriously considered doing ug there but it was far too expensive for the return... It actually does have a great reputation around here, don't know how their law school is ranked so terribly...

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome! I was born and raised in Tulsa too. (Go Redskins!)

Nobody outside Oklahoma has heard of TU, so their law school can't be terribly selective. The USNews rankings are very heavily weighted towards LSAT/GPA, however, so Tulsa ends up way at the bottom with Cooley.

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ, you went to Union too???? so did I
Old 02-14-2007, 10:05 PM

Had my 10 year reunion this summer. Man, the new [censored] at the highschool was amazing.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, got an interview with KAPLAN for March 8. What do they pay approximately?

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats. What was your score IYDMMA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Got a 171 (99th), took it in 2004, I'm a 2L at Michigan. I'm curious to see if they have night classes during the summer (or at all); I'll be working in Detroit and wouldn't mind picking up some extra cash while I'm downtown.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, unless you really really really want to go to stanford (and believe me, I know how that feels, it was my ED for Undergrad) I would easily go to one of the schools you got in. Theres really no difference between 1-10, except for geographical location. If you wanna be in CA, USC/Berkely would be fine. Everyone learns the same stuff at every law school, especialy the first half of law school.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that, but the average Joe couldn't tell you where Berkeley is. Harvard, Yale, and Stanford I think do stand out a bit from the rest. My reasons for Stanford are that it's in CA, it's ranked high, and they have a Copyright and Fair Use center.

[ QUOTE ]
The difference between 1-10 is less than penis waving ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of use need all the help we can get. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much all those people get offered teh same jobs, for you the interview/work experiance (and I think you're vastly ahead of most of your peers in work experiance, from your posts) will be the deciding factors. If a harvard guy and a Berkely guy get interviewed at the same place, I really doubt the harvard guy has any real edge, and I think your work experiance would far outweigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right for the most part. If my goal was only to be an attorney, have secure income, and live comfortably, I could go to Baylor almost for free, or Notre Dame for about half the cost. Better schools mean more options, though. If I want to teach or become a judge or something like that, rank, even within the top 10, means a lot more. If I'm gonna pay $8059830853085, I'm gonna do it at the best place I can get in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I pretty much agree with that, except the Berekely thing, I think the avg joe knows about USC and Berekely. I mean if its not a big deal for you to put it off for a year, go ahead, but I'd go to any of those schools you mentioned (I'd rather be at Berekely, and then USC tho) in a heartbeat. But then again, I'm not in the same "class" as you.

Heh, putting off going to law school isn't a terrible thing either. It's kinda hard.

Incidently, what was your Undergrad, I think you've said it on here before.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Got a 171 (99th), took it in 2004, I'm a 2L at Michigan. I'm curious to see if they have night classes during the summer (or at all); I'll be working in Detroit and wouldn't mind picking up some extra cash while I'm downtown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Summer was pretty busy for me last year, and all my weekday classes are at night, and a few afternoons on Sundays. The June and October tests seem to be the most popular.