Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2006, 01:40 AM

Default Arb Questions

I do a lot of arbing to clear bonus quicker and have been for a while. I never really questioned the way I do things until now. I’m curious if my strategy is optimal but I’m having a mental block figuring if it is or not.

If I’m taking a 0 cent arb to clear a bonus this is easy, no questions here.
When I take a -1 cent arb trying to move money from one account to another I’ll lean the extra cent on the favorite. For example rather than lose $2 no matter which team wins I set it up so I lose $4 if the dog wins but break even if the favorite wins. This seems right to me.

Now is where I have the question:
Let’s say I find this line
Team A -310
Team B +350

The way I would always bet this is to freeroll on the favorite.
I would bet 310 to 100 on Team A

Then bet $88.57 to win $310 on Team B.

I never really considered leaning my abs on the dogs or betting both in a way where each would produce the same return.

Is the way I bet Arbs optimal or not?
Old 12-31-2006, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Arb Questions

If you're going to shade, shade away from Pinnacle.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Arb Questions

As a relative newb from overseas, I have been trying to catch on to the different jargon. I'm doing OK thanks to the FAQ, etc, but I can't pick up on "shading". Can someone explain the concept for me?

PropPlayer, I've been doing same sort of thing as you, but am reluctant to always freeroll on the favourite as your exposure on a negative arb can be pretty big. (For example, I cleared a lot of bonus this week and moved most of my outstanding BR to Pinny when Boston College lost at -6000. Had I freerolled on them, I would have taken a hammering. As it was, rounding at those odds meant that I made a small profit.)

I have created a spreadsheet which calculates amounts to wager to freeroll both sides, as well as the amount which returns the portion of the arb corresponding to the relative odds of the two sides. (for instance, if you are backing at -150 and +152, the odds say that the favourite should win ~60% of the time - therefore you should bet so that you get 60% of the available arb margin on the favourite.) PM me if you are interested in seeing it.