Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-14-2006, 11:02 PM

Default Re: PSA: Walking out of Costco/Sam\'s

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(Note: This is not legal advice, and if you end up in prison doing this, don't blame me.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I do blame you for posting this "advice".

Maybe you should have tried it out first and given us a trip report.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I do this all the time if the line is too long. I've never had a single problem.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(Note: This is not legal advice, and if you end up in prison doing this, don't blame me.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I do blame you for posting this "advice".

Maybe you should have tried it out first and given us a trip report.

[/ QUOTE ]

Done twice. One time the checker said, "Excuse me, sir!" Really, what do you thinks going to happen? If you're more than 15 years old, you won't get stopped. They're not going to tackle you in the middle of the parking lot.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:08 PM

bob,

They can't legally do crap about it. You've broken no law and they don't even have enough evidence to detain you on suspicion of breaking any laws.

Edit: There seems to be some confusion. The people checking receipts at the door (or the dude in uniform at Target) isn't a Loss Prevention agent and will almost never be doing the arresting of people. These people are given even less power than an actual agent who is usually the only person that should be making an arrest. The Target dude in a uniform is just to scare people into not stealing and to help in case some dude tries to run when an agent stops them. The dude at the door in Sam's Club has like zero power to do anything. He checks receipts, that's it.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It's not enough for an LP department to make a detainment. Rules (both company policy and state law, most companies have policies that are stricter though to avoid litigation) are really strict about when you are allowed to detain someone, and even stricter about when you are allowed to arrest someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the answer to this is that they have to have specific and articulable facts to detain you

otherwise solid advice
Old 12-15-2006, 12:07 AM

i've done it several times, at costco and at fry's electronics.

lol, i'm not standing in some bs line after i've payed.

this isn't disneyland.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:17 AM

A few months ago I saw a good argument w/ a couple of Arab-looking customers..they were yelling at the door person and calling him a racist for making them stop and that they weren't stealing anything. The first thing I thought was, is it worth the few bucks per hour for that job...then again, they don't really do anything. They probably miss the items I do steal.

If the line is really long, I'll just walk out next time and see what happens. Sounds fun.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This seems like just about the worst advice I've ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know anything about things before you respond to posts or do you just attempt to make people feel stupid for fun with no actual knowledge of the subject. Like clearly the dude who has never even visited Sweden, let alone a small town in Sweden, would be the ideal person to tell me how impossible it is to get a box and ship stuff.

Just like the guy who clearly has no idea what he is talking about here is saying that despite the fact the OP is correct, his advice is "the worst ever".

/rant

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not my fault you dismantled your computer.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:47 AM

Had a friend in law enforcement who says the same thing, you DO NOT have to wait in that line. Of course OP is saying AFTER u've paid for everything, you don't legally have to wait in that long-ass line just to show a receipt. Just get the eff out and it's all good.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:53 AM

Just for Metetron i'll state my qualifactions, which was 1 year at Costco doing this job.

If this happpened i would def. ask them when they tried to pass to stop and if they didn't i would follow and ask again, no way this would save you anytime. No trainning to not do this was given.

Then again, i guess this is England in which if someone passed you like that there's no way you'd think they are just being rude and wanted to get out that 45 seconds quicker.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:20 AM

Evan,

FWIW, I think this is a great tip re: electronics stores. At Best Buy and Circuit City, they always try to stop you. If there's nobody else there, I'll take the 30 seconds and show him my receipt, no big deal. But if there's a couple people in front of me, I'll just walk by. Guy will say "excuse me, sir, could we see your receipt?" and I'll say "that's ok, thanks!" and keep walking and that's that.

At membership clubs like CostCo I'll always show them the receipt, though.