Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2006, 09:15 PM

Default Who raises this river?

Okay, villain is loose and will call down with just about anything or nothing. He's capable of a bluff in my view. His stats show him to be a bit passive (77/14/0.6) but I've seen him pull a couple of moves.

Do I raise the river? I think he only calls a raise, or reraises if I am beaten, because if he's bluffed, he's folding to the raise. Am I right? Do I just call here?

I kind of thought he might be calling this down with A high or K high, hoping to get lucky. I think he bets a ten (he's not *that* passive). I doubt a pair of 7s believes it can get lucky here. Naturally, I didn't think it was all that likely that he flushed, but I'd hate to be reraised and watch him turn over 7s5s.

And please don't say "raise preflop". I can't isolate the limpers here. The blinds will both call and I don't want to pay two bets to play this even in position.

Poker Room skin
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5SB, 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, 3 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3.5BB, 2 players)
MP2 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5.5BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 7.5BB
Old 11-19-2006, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Who raises this river?

The majority of his range will either be nothing or something like 2-pair/flush/straight. Just don't see any value in a raise.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:29 PM

I agree with Shillx, I wouldn't raise here.
He may be bluffing (or donking a pair) but it's not worth raising here in case he has 2 pair, str8 or flush. The main thing to remember is to never fold in this situation!

FWIW he may not re-raise with any holdings that beat us (bar nut/high flush)
Old 11-19-2006, 09:34 PM

call
[ QUOTE ]
The majority of his range will either be nothing or something like 2-pair/flush/straight. Just don't see any value in a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-19-2006, 09:42 PM

For the reasons you state, I don't see the value in raising the river here.

Is this a standard call here preflop, I usually muck K10 unless it's suited, but that may be a leak on my part?
Old 11-19-2006, 09:57 PM

I'm with mob: call
Old 11-19-2006, 09:58 PM

Based on your read, I don't see how anything other than calling is a good idea. He'll fold a bluff to your raise and he probably isn't betting anything unless it's a bluff or ahead of you.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the reasons you state, I don't see the value in raising the river here.

Is this a standard call here preflop, I usually muck K10 unless it's suited, but that may be a leak on my part?

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, it's player-dependent. I would often muck it in this position but this spot seemed a good one to get in with it.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

playing this sort of hand in position is what people seem to do to get their VPIP up closer to 20....play well postflop and you can play this here.

I wouldnt call mucking this a leak and my mentality with this sort of hand is that I may as well try and learn to play them now whilst the stakes are small (thats what i tell myself even after I play it bad postflop and spew BB when if I had just folded preflop I would have saved myself $)
Old 11-19-2006, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have another value question. I have QQ. I bet, a guy calls and is all in for 1.5sb, shortstacked guy 3bets, LAGgy guy caps and shortie is now allin too, I call the two back to me.

Flop comes KdTd3d. LAG bets out. I think he'll cap with a wide range, so this bet could be AdX, AK/KQ/KJ, QQ/JJ/TT, maybe even KT, AT or maybe some other big aces that have whiffed. It could just about be 99 but I think that's a bit loose even for this guy to have capped with. However, we're only playing for a small sidepot, so I think Ks are a lot more likely than nothings. I raised preflop from EP after all, so I likely have at least smaller aces (without Ad) beat. Anyway, I call and call again on a turn 4. You've guessed it. I think I'm in a quasi WA/WB position. He either has a K and I'm beaten, or he doesn't and I'm ahead. He might have more than a few outs, but he's betting the hand if he does, so I don't need to "charge" him for it (if he has AdX, where X is not a T, he has 12 outs against me, so his bets are not for value). I don't think I can valueraise, because I don't beat enough of his range, and some of the hands that beat have those 12 outs.

The river is a 5. He checks.

Should I bet? I felt that if I did and he raised, I'd have a tough call, probably not for the whole pot. But here he could have hands that might call, although I don't see why he'd slow down with a pair of Ts. For that matter, I don't see why he'd slow down with AdX. I raised and I've called bets on the flop and turn. I must have *something*. So his only chance to win this pot is to fire on the river if he has nothing. In this case, I don't see how he's calling with the worst of his hands. AT is about all I can see calling here.

As soon as I checked, before I even saw his cards, I was thinking "that was weak". Was it? Does he call with more? I think I was fixed on the small side pot and didn't consider the big main pot that would entice him to call with absolutely anything.