Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Anti Gaming Legislation: Wait but be prepared to act!

I think its time to see if what historically made this country great can still be utilized.
I agree that right now is a time of wait and see, but I don’t say that as casually as most people have. I believe we need to be prepared to act and am hopeful that some educated parties with vast financial resources, expertise, and strong financial interest in this matter will help guide us in doing so. I’m quite confident that drastic actions are (or will soon be) warranted. What has been done is not right! There are no ands ifs or buts about it. It’s the role of our government to protect our freedom and interests before all else. It is clearly NOT the role of our government to legislate morality!
I might offend some people here by saying this and I’ve remained politically correct or whatever and not mentioned it before: but I strongly (and I mean very strongly) am against gay marriage. At the same time I was strongly against the bill that failed by a rather small margin to outlaw it. This is not our government’s role at all. Personally I believe it should not be legislated at all! Anyways, I bring up this example to say: Even the people who are strongly against online gambling can also be strongly against its legislation. Why? Because it’s not the role of our government to legislate morality. It puts the wrong kind of power into the hands of elected officials. The problem with legislating moral issues is it will always attack the freedoms of some percentage of the population and it plain and simple is NOT RIGHT! Thomas Jefferson told me that I was endowed by my Creator with certain unalienable Rights, which among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
In passing the related legislation the government has placed morality and social issues over the civil liberties our county was founded on.
To me personally this is the straw that has broken the camels back. I am a person who wants very much to believe that our country can still be great but this is only one of many items that needs to be addressed. I do believe that we can get threw to others who still have some ability to think logically for themselves that this legislation is not right! It is a violation of our God given rights that our counties founders declared to be self evident. People need to see this and I believe that even those who might be strongly against online gambling could also be convinced that this legislation is not right!
This will only be the first step. I do not know the best course of action to follow, but I am hopeful that one will present itself soon. I personally remain on watch for it and will be ready to act.

“When so ever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends – life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it and to institute new government.” Thomas Jefferson