Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-17-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Re: ***Official 2007-2008 NHL Season Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
So roughly 20 games into the season and the Devils are struggling mightily. How much of this is the loss of Gomez? I'm just trying to find another reason to hate him, just so you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost none of it tbh.

Devils' defense right now is terrible. Their offense will get clicking eventually but their defense can't transition the puck. While having Gomez around for that would be nice, he too often carried the puck through 4 guys only to give it right to the 5th.

The Devils are probably not a playoff team this year, but if they sign a defensemen in the offseason, they're looking at a very good team heading into 08-09.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:05 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

Biggest bugaboo for the Devils this year has been their penalty kill. It's been awful, and traditionally it's an area where they excel. You could even say their special teams in general have been a problem. While they're dead last in penalty killing, they're also near the bottom in power play expectation.

At even strength they've been about a league average team, which is also a bit surprising for a franchise that normally excels in 5-on-5 play. But they've also had a little bit of bad luck, and on the whole I do expect them to get better as the season progresses and probably at least compete for a playoff spot. Marty was also awful at the beginning of the year and has been much better lately. (BTW, Kevin Weekes has been lights-out sick in the few games he's played this season.)

If I can step out onto my "crazy limb" for a second...(please indulge)... If I were GM of the Devils I'd seriously consider trading Brodeur. (And this has nothing to do with the insignificant sample size of Kevin Weekes.) Admittedly, I'm ignoring the PR aspect of the move, and the fact that Brodeur is kinda the face of the Devils in a new arena, etc. But from a pure hockey standpoint, Marty's perceived value is way higher than his actual value, and he's coming off a career year, and he's in his mid-thirties. If I could get something like a top notch defensemen AND a top offensive gun for him, particularly young ones whom I could sign for a while, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I can step out onto my "crazy limb" for a second...(please indulge)... If I were GM of the Devils I'd seriously consider trading Brodeur. (And this has nothing to do with the insignificant sample size of Kevin Weekes.) Admittedly, I'm ignoring the PR aspect of the move, and the fact that Brodeur is kinda the face of the Devils in a new arena, etc. But from a pure hockey standpoint, Marty's perceived value is way higher than his actual value, and he's coming off a career year, and he's in his mid-thirties. If I could get something like a top notch defensemen AND a top offensive gun for him, particularly young ones whom I could sign for a while, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

totally agree, but it will never happen.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:52 PM

Sunny,

In the Rangers thread you referenced a lot of advanced hockey statistics. This topic really interests me. One website I found that discusses this is http://www.hockeyanalytics.com/

Do you have any other resources or have time to discuss these statistics via PM with me?
Old 11-17-2007, 02:18 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
Sunny,

In the Rangers thread you referenced a lot of advanced hockey statistics. This topic really interests me. One website I found that discusses this is http://www.hockeyanalytics.com/

Do you have any other resources or have time to discuss these statistics via PM with me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rubeskies,

The Hockey Analytics website you reference is far and away the best and most comprehensive. Ryder's work is groundbreaking. The only thing that sucks is that he publishes his findings only once a year at the end of the season (save for a few stray articles), so there isn't anything on the current season. I like the Hockey Numbers website for current advanced stats (I linked to it in my post in that Rangers thread), but it's pretty crude in its presentation and you kinda have to know what you're looking at.

Hockey stats are still largely in the primitive stages, but there are definitely people who are advancing the puck, so to speak. I've done some research on the topic, and I'd be happy to share what I know - but I'm not an expert nor have I done any serious math crunching (although I've emailed with people who have, including Ryder).

If you want to ask questions here, or maybe start another hockey stats thread in this forum, it might be more fun than PM since others could also ask and chime in with what they know. I'd be happy to contribute.

-S
Old 11-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Looks like the Coyotes picked up Bryzgalov off waivers. He's got a damn good chance to leapfrog Auld and Tellqvist to become the starting PHX goalie.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:21 PM

Sunny,

While I agree with regard to Brodeur, goalies just aren't worth that much. When you trade a goalie, you almost always have to deal for the other team's goalie - then you get either a solid winger or defenseman, but not both.

There's really not help coming for New Jersey. Half the problem with New Jersey is that there's about 7 new guys on the roster. Adding another guy isn't really going to help unless it's Nicklas Lidstrom.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sunny,

While I agree with regard to Brodeur, goalies just aren't worth that much. When you trade a goalie, you almost always have to deal for the other team's goalie - then you get either a solid winger or defenseman, but not both.

There's really not help coming for New Jersey. Half the problem with New Jersey is that there's about 7 new guys on the roster. Adding another guy isn't really going to help unless it's Nicklas Lidstrom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree Triumph, that is the problem. I just don't know how these GM's view it though. I kinda have a feeling that some team with terrible goaltending would really overpay for Brodeur, but maybe I'm wrong.

OMG the thought (more like dream) of Nik Lidstrom on the Devils just got me really excited. Dude is so sick.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sunny,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree Triumph, that is the problem. I just don't know how these GM's view it though. I kinda have a feeling that some team with terrible goaltending would really overpay for Brodeur, but maybe I'm wrong.

OMG the thought (more like dream) of Nik Lidstrom on the Devils just got me really excited. Dude is so sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ilya Bryzgalov just went on waivers, and while Bryzgalov's play is shaky at times (he's Russian after all), he's still probably better than the 30th best goalie in the league, and could start for 4 or 5 teams. However, market inefficiencies conspired to dry up the possible suitors for him.

It's tough to think of a top team that's in desperate need of goaltending, although a certain team in Detroit's going to be soon.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure Lidstrom would rather retire than play anywhere else but Detroit.