Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-07-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Hat style

I've always been fascinated by hats, but I was born fifty years too late. But I recently decided [censored] convention, I'm getting a hat. I'll either have a daring personal style, or I'll be that weird guy with a hat. Whatever. I have some style questions, though, and none of my usual sources is helpful.

-Colorwise, what should a hat match? Do I need a different hat for every suit, or is there such a thing as an all-purpose hat?
-Hat + trenchcoat seems like a classic and functional pairing, and that's where I'm going to start. What about hat + suit? Are there hat options that work with more casual clothes?
-Hat types. There seem to be a virtually endless array of fedoras and porkpies and god knows what else. Should I be guided just by what looks good, or are there rules about hat types that need to be observed.

Any other hat comments, links to hat websites, or other bits of haberdashical lore would be welcome. TIA.

(BTW, I'm white. I'm very aware that there's a yawning racial divide on the issue of hats. Let's do our bit to promote racial equality by bringing back the white hat.)
Old 10-07-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Hat style

From olde tyme movies and photographs it didn't appear that most guys had hats that mached their suits, but they probably weren't wearing them so much for style as they were because it was the uniform of the day.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:02 PM

[ ] Daring personal style
[X] That weird guy with a hat
Old 10-07-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Early usage of the term "haberdasher" refers to a retailer of many accessories, including swords, horns, mousetraps, and crucifixes.

[/ QUOTE ]

A local hat crafter who's quite popular here.