Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Trip Report of FSU game - Postponement?!?! SIKE!!!!!

went to today's FSU vs NCSt game. 61st row in the corner. Woot!!
Cared about neither team really. Just wanted to go to a game and take the GF to see a real college-football atmosphere with the marching bands and all while explaining such expert stuff as "yellow flag means a penalty".

anyway, weird day at the stadium.

So....FSU has a lightning-delay in the 3rd Q even though there is no lightning in the area. Just a lightning strike within 15 miles that they spotted on the radar or something. Weird.
So we're all sitting around and it's not raining or lightninging or anything and everyone is confused and nobody is concerned about the weather or anything like that. Because the weather is absolutely fine.

About 5 minutes later the PA announcer comes on and says the game is postponted!! WTF?
I surmise that there must be some monster storm coming on the radar and they are just taking advance precautions over a sure thing or something like that.
Stadium pretty much vacates. Thousands of fans left just like we did thinking the game had been postponed.
Ummm, because they TOLD US it was postponed.

Well, evidently the announcer didn't know the difference betweeen postponed and delayed. We get back to our car and learn that the game was only in a delay.
WTF?!?!

Now that I think about it I believe I could hear the announcer trying to correct himself while we were all on our way out. But between the fans and the band etc you just couldn't hear him.
He was trying to say "the game is not cancelled. it is only postponed" or something like that. Well, cancelled means it will not be made up. Postponed means they'll play it at a later date.
I thought he was talking about future date and the tickets would or wouldn't be good for it or whatever and I didn't really care. I just couldn't hear the part where evidently he was probably explaining that the game would continue after the 'brief postponement' or whatever weird language he was using.
we just didn't consider the possibility that he was simply a moron who doesn't know that the word 'postponed' is NOT synonomous with 'delayed'.

We, like many other fans I believe, only learned that the game was being continued when we got to our cars. It was a lengthy and sweaty and rainy hike away so when we heard that while driving away i wasn't about to try to talk my GF into going back to the stadium. She would have thought I was nuts. And it was now a steady rain at the stadium anyway whereas when they started the nearly 1 hour delay the weather was pretty much perfect.

The FSU radio announcer who has been around for about 82 years says it's the first lightning delay at Doak Campbell Stadium that he remembers. And the weird thing was....THERE WAS NO LIGHTNING!!
I mean, if a strike happens really close to the stadium then that's one thing.
But something showing up in a little mini-storm 15 miles away doesn't count. This is Florida and that happens all the freaking time and practically every other game would be delayed for an hour or more if that was their weird standard.

So I'm kind of amused and ticked that there was a lightning-delay with no lightning and then the PA announcer told everyone to go home because they were finished playing even though they really weren't.