Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Convert me.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been libertarian for years. AC seems a very tempting next step in my own political evolution. This forum obv. has done a lot to make me consider some of my own assumptions about the necessity of the state. I'm still resistant to the idea of a total absence of the state (I mean, who would build ROADS?!?!? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]), so it's time to try and push me over the edge. Can you make me an anarchist?

I'm planing to purchase a number of AC books in the near future to see if anyone's argument can seriously convince me that the absence of the state would be preferable to a minimal state. First on my list I think is Anarchy, State, and Utopia by Robert Nozick.

I guess my question to the hard-core AC crowd is first, is AS&U a good start? What other books/sources do you recommend to really lay out the AC philosophy and convert the skeptical?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you live in the United States, you might look at the government. It's probaly doing a better job at converting me than the people here. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Convert me.

[ QUOTE ]
The Machinery of Freedom is also great. It's essentially a defence of AC from entirely utilitarian grounds (without any Austrian economics to boot) - and you get the impression Friedman doesn't care much for the whole natural rights approach either. So if you're all in favour of AC in principle, but have some doubts about its practicality, this is the book to read.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's about right.