Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Modem problems?

For the last couple days my internet has been bizarre. Firefox (and other web browsers) will stop working (it says something like "connection was reset") for sometimes up to 5-10 mins... usually it's just pretty quick and works in a minute or next time you refresh the page.

The weird thing is though, I don't lose connection from AIM. If I sign off I can't reconnect, but I don't get disconnected, and can talk to people while my web browser won't reload.

I also can't open a poker site when it flakes out... but I'm yet to try whether or not I maintain connection if it's already running (like AIM). I have a site open to test for next time it flakes on me.

So my question is A.) does anyone know what the hell is going on? Modem dying? and B.) Do you suspect the poker programs will stay running the same way AIM does?

I didn't mind a day or two off... but it's getting to the point where I just want to be able to play again. I'll call the cable company soon, but they generally pride themselves on being as unhelpful as possible, and will just schedule a house visit for next week sometime. You guys might be better help.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Modem problems?

I've had this happen to me, with AIM still up and running. AIM is not a reliable indicator or your internet connection status. I think there is a problem with your dns servers. Change them to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2.
If you don't know how to change them:
http://www.mediacollege.com/computer/network/dns.html
Old 08-25-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Modem problems?

Thanks Gigi.